Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
    Concerning the horse power and parasitic loses. I do not believe that a straight percentage rule is linear.
    Hmm, I wondered about that too.
    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Wow, had to dig deep in the pages to find the thread. Can't believe I haven't done any updates since August 14th.

Been doing some tinkering this last week though. First of all I fitted the heavy-duty back plate to the clutch hub and welded it up. The rivets were a snug fit but eventually I managed to put it together.

Then I got the cylinderblock back from a guy in town who bores engines and stuff. Up from 74 to 77mm bore which means 1135 -> 1230cc. Turned out really sweet and my new Wiseco pistons fit like a glove.

Earlier this week I also got some wheels posted to me from Isle of Man. These are not for my bike but cool all the same. Anyone recognize the brand?

These will be refurbished and fitted to my dads Kawasaki Z1000 Mk.II.

Today I blasted the valve cover in preparation for some black wrinklepaint which should arrive tomorrow. Will be baking that in the oven then.

Also painted the cylinderblock, this time silver instead of black. With the black valve cover, I kinda wanted a different contrast on the engine. Looks pretty neat I think.

Made myself a new sprocket cover / guard as well. Might be subject to chance in the future but for now this will do. Just need to tack on the small round stabilizer for the shift rod and it's all finished.

Suppose that's all for now. Going to sort out the ring gaps for the pistons starting tomorrow. Tedious work...

Comment

Stunning work as usual, Mindless.
        How big is that rear Astralite? 5.5"? 6"? And did somebody win the lottery to afford that pair?
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Stunning work as usual, Mindless.
          How big is that rear Astralite? 5.5"? 6"? And did somebody win the lottery to afford that pair?
          Thanks.

The rear wheel is 5.5x17". As for winning the lottery... I wish since I'm broke now after buying them...

But seriously, they weren't that expensive taking in mind that they are the right size and that they are nice and straight (with the exception of the front wheel which will need straightening). Compared to a set of unusable 25 year old Dymag magnesium wheels, paying £350 for these was cheap.

Granted, I got to make new wheel centers for them, get some bearings, fix up the rear brake disc, fit a cush drive for the sprocket, blast them and finally get them repainted. So in the end, these will probably have cost me double what I paid. But given how rare they are, I'm fine with that.

Comment

Suppose this thread should be in the Performance-department now.

Checked the ring end gaps today and adjusted where needed, then I started to fiddle with the cylinder block. Easier said than done, but with some help from my old man and some gentle persuasion we managed to get #2 and #3 into their respective cylinders.

Almost starting to resemble an engine now.

Got my wrinklepaint today as well so I coated the valve cover a few times and threw it in the oven for 5-10 minutes.

Turned out really nice. Gonna give the cover for the ignition and the lids on the carbs the same treatment tomorrow I think.

Also noticed that I've gathered quite a few anodised parts on the bike now.

Comment

Almost there now.

Comment

Today was the big day.

No I didn't start the bike. Nothing of the sort in fact.

No.

Today was the day when finally, after 13 years of waiting, me and my old man decided that enough is enough. The garage has been used as a sort of storage for a large classic mahogany boat over these years. But frankly, with three bikes around and two of them full scale rebuilds, a room of 20 sq meters (of which half is occupied by a workbench, a compressor, and so on) just isn't enough.

So, we got up early this morning and ate breakfast then we went out in the garage and started cleaning.

After a while, we had pretty much cleared out everything, in, on and around the boat. The keen eyed will spot dads afro sticking up out of the boat.

Then we went and picked up a trailer from a guy my old man knows. Really nice of him to lend it on such short notice.

With the help of another oldschool bike fanatic we managed to get the boat far enough up on the trailer to pull it out.

The result is as follows.

Old man could hardly keep his mouth closed. "Wow, there sure is a lot of room now." was his reaction. Can't disagree with him.

So finally, we have a proper work area to fiddle with the bikes on. Will be spending the next couple of weeks getting everything nice and tidy. And meanwhile we do that, I hope I'll be able to hunt down a job so I get a steady income in order to finance the future of this project.

That's all for now I guess.

Last edited by Guest; 10-17-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Yikes snow already I can barely wait

Nice boat. Can we have some more pics please? The garage looks really suitable for bike building and the project is looking great. You've done a great job my friend.

Waiting to hear of that bike running.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
                  Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                    Yikes snow already I can barely wait

Nice boat. Can we have some more pics please? The garage looks really suitable for bike building and the project is looking great. You've done a great job my friend.

Waiting to hear of that bike running.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
                    Spyug
                    Well, the arctic circle is only a couple of hours away so the first snow usually arrives in mid-october. However, most of it is already gone now since it was pretty warm today. Last year we didn't get any real snow until a week before christmas, and after that we had the most snow we've had in 18 years.

More pictures of the boat? Here's two I took when we had hauled it outside.

As for the bike running, here's a clip from earlier this summer with the original 1134cc. Should make a bit more noise with the 1230cc bore now.

Old carbon fiber exhaust cracked at the rivets so I got a new stainless steel replacement. Sounds much better (more full bodied) and not as sharp compared to...

Comment

just listened to that engine again, those 0.348" are much loppier than my 0.340's

at 1230 should be a really mean machine.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        just listened to that engine again, those 0.348" are much loppier than my 0.340's

With 257 degrees duration on the cams and something like 20 degrees of cam overlap (forgot how much), it's bound to sound a bit... raw. Your cams are a bit more "lean".

But yeah, it should be a nice machine with the 1230cc kit, new adjustable ignition system and some head work.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2010, 02:38 AM.

Comment

^ I love tech talk

music to my ears

Comment

Thanks for the boat pics and the bike vid. I love the linesof that hull. What is the story there? I'm guessing its a traditional style (for your area) and likely a small fisherman of some sort. What does it run for power? Maybe you could bolt in the 'Zuk engine...seems like there would be enough power from that mill.

After reading your post and seeing the pics of the snow I heard that we have also had snow up north and out west. Maybe its a sign of early winter or more likely something to do with the change in weather patterns caused by global warming or some such. Time to tune up the snowblower.

cheers,
                            Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Yup that thing sounds good, and I would love to get some 348's but I think my neighbours and the local cops wouldnt like the noise
                              But maybe I will do it anyway sometime, its tempting

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                                Thanks for the boat pics and the bike vid. I love the linesof that hull. What is the story there? I'm guessing its a traditional style (for your area) and likely a small fisherman of some sort. What does it run for power? Maybe you could bolt in the 'Zuk engine...seems like there would be enough power from that mill.

After reading your post and seeing the pics of the snow I heard that we have also had snow up north and out west. Maybe its a sign of early winter or more likely something to do with the change in weather patterns caused by global warming or some such. Time to tune up the snowblower.

cheers,
                                Spyug.
                                Not that knowledgeable about the boat myself but it was built in 1947 for a man here in town. Only a handful was made back then and of those this one is unique (the hulls construction). I don't know what it was originally built to be used as but it's been used for recreational purposes over the last 50 years at least (testimonies from old boat folks in town).

Right now it's been powered by a Volvo Penta BB70, with a top speed of about 10 knots.

We usually get our first snow in early October so actually it was a couple of weeks late this year. As I said though, it thaws away pretty much instantly and the real snow usually doesn't come until mid-november.

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                                Yup that thing sounds good, and I would love to get some 348's but I think my neighbours and the local cops wouldnt like the noise
                                But maybe I will do it anyway sometime, its tempting
                                I like it too. Not sure the police will though.

As for the 348's, well, in hindsight, maybe I should have gone for some other cams. They are quite lumpy for road use, especially when I didn't have the benefit of some bigger cc's and a bit more compression before. But now with the 1230 piston kit and maybe some head work on the way, they should be really good.

Up in speed and on the track though - wow!

Comment

Working...
                                X