No announcement yet.

Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cams sound pretty mild to me. What are all you sissies talking about?!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      The cams sound pretty mild to me. What are all you sissies talking about?!!! Ray.
      Everything is relative I guess.

Comment

Yesterday I added some cosmetic enhancements to the valve cover. Not much but the bare metal makes the text "pop" a bit more.

After that I dealt with a seemingly unimportant aspect of an engine, but truth is, it's actually very important. Without enough fuel in a performance engine you're looking at possible engine failure, so in order to remedy this, I invested in one of these.

A Pingle "race" fueltap with dual outlets. Shouldn't have to worry about fuel starvation now.

In order to fit the tap to the tank I made an adapter plate. Drilled two 6mm holes, 44mm apart and countersinked the holes.

Then I drilled a 15mm hole a bit off-center (so the tap clears the valve cover) and tapped it with a 3/8" NPT thread.

When I was done with fitting the fuel tap I also sorted out the fuel lines and filters. Tried a bunch of different transparent fuel lines this summer and all have gone yellow and turned hard, even though they are made to withstand petrol. This time however I used a really high quality and very flexible silicone line which I hope will do the job better.

Time will tell...

Comment

Are you aware that Pingel sells the adapter plate you made also? Ray.

Comment

Are you aware that Pingel sells the adapter plate you made also? Ray.
            Yeah, I know they sell them, but why pay 20 bucks for what I can make myself out in the garage in 30 minutes? Mine will do the job just as well and it didn't cost me anything.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2010, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Finished up the sprocket cover tonight. Made a small dirt / chain guard for it in case I somehow split the 520 racing chain I'm using (highly unlikely though...).

Behind the cover you find this. Just some 1.5mm stainless beat into shape.

Should be more than plenty to guard the engine.

Also made some mounts for the new Dyna coils. Since they're so much bigger than the stock coils you have to fit them a bit differently in order to clear the frame and tank.

And with that sorted out I started looking at the oil cooler.

Had a 9-row cooler (SETRAB-style) fitted earlier but the bike was running a bit too hot I think so I'm looking at upgrading. Seen here is a 16-row cooler. It's a bit big but should cool the engine better than the old one. Only thing that speaks against it really is the size and the fact that the lower yoke has trouble clearing it. Will need to work out some different mounts for it.

Or I could just fit a 13-row cooler. Should be more than enough up here in the cold north. Don't live in Spain or California after all...
              Last edited by Guest; 10-30-2010, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Looking good! I had a feeling that was your reason for not buying the adapter from Pingel. Keep up the nice work! Ray.

Comment

Looking good! I had a feeling that was your reason for not buying the adapter from Pingel. Keep up the nice work! Ray.
                  Thanks Ray.

As for the adapter: yeah, kind of hard to motivate spending that kind of money for a small piece of metal.

Comment

Wow man, bitchin' work. I'm really enjoying watching this work.

Comment

Seems like I've been making a habit of posting something new every two weeks so here goes nothing.

Not much has been done on the bike in the last few week (month to be honest) but now at last, things are moving again. And in celebration of me getting a new job, the head will be leaving Sweden later this week bound for Great Britan and Mr. Roger Upperton for some work:

29.5mm intake valves.
                      Re-cut valve seats to a competition profile.
                      Full race / street porting.
                      Stock exhaust valves.
                      Kibblewhite stainless intake valves.
                      1mm skim of the head
                      (to raise compression).

Roger said I can expect up towards 150 or 155rwhp, possibly more with this head on my current set-up.

But that's not all.

I found a deal that was just too good to pass up so I'll be buying a set of these from the states for a relatively small sum.

What you ask? Well, what else?

A set of Ohlins FG Road & Track 805 forks for the 2008-2010 Hayabusa (I got 2006 Hayabusa forks fitted right now). All I need to make them fit is the newer wheel spindle and some radial calipers.

And speaking of calipers...

4-piston monoblock radial calipers from ISR Brakes (also a Swedish company).

But that's still not all. In addition to the calipers, I'll be kitting the bike out completely with ISR hardware. This includes:

Radial master cylinder.
                      Clutch lever.
                      Rear master cylinder.
                      Rear brake caliper.

No point in saving money at this stage so why not go all out.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2010, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Why not indeed!

Comment

It just keeps getting better.
                          Cool upgrades, Mindless.
                          How did you find anything with the Ohlins name on it for a "small sum"?
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Make sure to use adequate layers of teflon tape on the petcock threads. Don't be tempted to use pipe dope. Especially if you might want to take the petcock out of the adapter.
                            Ask me how I know.
                            The Three Horsemen
                            '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                            '83 GS1100ES
                            ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                            Porkchop Express

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              It just keeps getting better.
                              Cool upgrades, Mindless.
                              How did you find anything with the Ohlins name on it for a "small sum"?
                              I guess it's all relative but at 45% of the retal price here in Sweden, they were cheap.

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
                              Make sure to use adequate layers of teflon tape on the petcock threads. Don't be tempted to use pipe dope. Especially if you might want to take the petcock out of the adapter.
                              Ask me how I know.
                              Yeah, I know. Heard of people having serious leaky-problems with these petcocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
                                I guess it's all relative but at 45% of the retal price here in Sweden, they were cheap.
                                How did you get such a good deal?!

Comment

Working...
                                X