No announcement yet.

Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like I've forgotten to update the thread again.

Here's what's been going on for the past couple of weeks:

Exhaust: Ordered a new one from Exhaust Craft. Just ordering a set of downpipes with spigots and the 4-1 collector. Will be making my own linkpipe and a new silencer / megaphone.

Found this in a box of scraps out in the garage. Perfect for the end baffle on the new silencer.

Also ordered some aluminium tubing to make the actual "can". Hopefully it will arrive sometime this week.

The downpipes are still a couple of weeks away though.

Front end: Got the B-King radial calipers for the forks as well so I measured how much offset the discs needed (since these wheels are not made with radial calipers in mind) and came up with 7.5mm per side.

Off to the workshop and get cracking.

Found a short stump from a 4" axle which was perfect (needed 100mm) so just a fine pass in the lathe and it was ready. First I drilled a 18mm hole straight through and after that up to 55mm. Wanted the hole to be 64mm and it's a bit easier to go from 55 -> 64mm than from 18 -> 64mm. Three fine 1.5mm passes inside and it was done.

That gave me a lump that looked like this.

Next up was plotting out the holes.

At first, nothing added up but after a small "Aha!"-moment I figured it out. With the holes drilled, it was back to the lathe again to cut two spacer discs.

All done.

Swingarm: Today I got a call from the guy I commissioned to make me some new shock mounts as well as the beginnings of the brace. I was a bit worried at first that he might have misread my drawing or something, but then I realized this guy has over 30 years of experience with these things and he has built billet heads for top-fuel V-twins as well as his own 2.2l Harley clone engine - very cool bike that one.

Gonna see if I have time to remove the old shock mounts tonight and get the new ones measured in and welded on. Should have a new update towards the weekend.

Comment

Started figuring out how I want the brace today. Pretty much done with the right side as far as measuring goes so I'll probably move on to the left side tomorrow.

It will be a bit asymmetric due to the chain but that's how it is on most swingarms nowadays.

Gonna see about borrowing a TIG welder over the weekend and get it all welded up, would take too much time going between the garage and the workshop just to do some small measuring and/or corrections.

And here's the front disc spacers doing their job.

Just need some spacers for the actual calipers now.

Should be able to turn some on the lathe this weekend.

Comment

you'll have to excuse me, I sort of forgot what I was reading once this image came up:

That fork bottom should be sold as jewelry- not sure how to wear it though

Asymmetry FTW, I love seeing roll cages with an asymmetric layout; more times than not they perform better than one with a mirrored layout.

Comment

Lookin' great!

Comment

Had a bit of a reuinion with my Z1R fairing yesterday. I spent a good $140 on the windscreen and over $300 total on the fairing so I better find a use for it. I always loved the lines of the fairing but it was just... huge...

In order to remedy this, I copped off 70mm on either side of the fairing (to get a sleeker profile on the fairing). Turned out pretty good I think. Also sketched up a stencil on some masking tape for cutting the windscreen down to a more appropriate size (not building a tourer after all ).

Did some final measuring tonight and when I liked the way it looked I went ahead and attacked the windscreen with a thin japanese saw. After some work I ended up with this.

Hopefully I'd have a nice fine edge all around the windscreen. Fingers crossed...

Hooray for me and god bless these things.

So how does it look on the bike then? I think it's pretty cool.

Now it's just a matter of fabricating some brackets for the fairing.

Comment

I'd like to see a wider angle profile shot to see how it looks in proportion to the whole bike, but it's looking like you have nailed it.

I really like the two shots you have posted. the raking cut alignment and position relative to the forks is perfect. The price of those things demands that you can see every mm2 of them that is possible.

Comment

Keep going....

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
                  I'd like to see a wider angle profile shot to see how it looks in proportion to the whole bike, but it's looking like you have nailed it.

I really like the two shots you have posted. the raking cut alignment and position relative to the forks is perfect. The price of those things demands that you can see every mm2 of them that is possible.
                  Yeah, I'd like to get a better view myself but I have the wall against my back in the picture that's taken from the side.

I think it's also pretty much spot on, just a matter of making some brackets for it now.

And yes - Airtech Streamlining stuff costs a smaller fortune but the quality is second to none. Really well made.

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  Keep going....
                  Hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to post in a couple of days.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2011, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I can't belive you got such a clean cut on that screen with a HAND saw . Looks fantastic.
                    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                      I can't belive you got such a clean cut on that screen with a HAND saw . Looks fantastic.
                      Took some patience to get it right but these saws are pretty amazing. As long as you get a small cut made, the blade will pretty much guide itself. It was just a matter of following the outline I made. In the bends I used the very tip of the blade and gently cut my way through while bending the blade at the same. Works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
                        Took some patience to get it right but these saws are pretty amazing. As long as you get a small cut made, the blade will pretty much guide itself. It was just a matter of following the outline I made. In the bends I used the very tip of the blade and gently cut my way through while bending the blade at the same. Works like a charm.
                        excellent, really liking that fairing. I hate making these kinds of 'blind praise' comments, but I have no constructive criticism to offer since you do everything better than me , so consider it a hello and keep up the good work!

Comment

Wow! You really made that Z1R fairing look "right".
                          Nice job!

Comment

Got all the parts for the swingarm brace prepped and ready for welding.

Going to leave the welding to a more experienced fella though. I could do it myself but I wouldn't be satisfied with the look of the welds.

Hopefully I'll have it all welded up this week or sometime the next. More pictures then.

Comment

New exhaust arrived today from England. Turned out very nice.

Nice aluminium exhaust spigots were included as well.

Comment

Hats off to you. You aren't sparing any sweat or dollars on your build.

Tell me please, with all the changes you have made (not least front wheel sizes, rake & trail) how does the bike handle (not power wise) compared to original? Are there any noticeable changes for better or worse?

Comment

Working...
                                X