Yoshimura GSX1135R (EFE) Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
    Hats off to you. You aren't sparing any sweat or dollars on your build.

Tell me please, with all the changes you have made (not least front wheel sizes, rake & trail) how does the bike handle (not power wise) compared to original? Are there any noticeable changes for better or worse?
    Thanks.

It's really quite hard to describe the difference. The longer wheelbase gives it amazing stability in a straight line and in corners. The upgraded suspension also helps. The modern tyres help the handling significantly. It turns quicker and smoother as well as allowing a far bigger lean angle when cornering (not to mention the better grip in the tyres).

I rode a Suzuki B-King earlier last summer and comparing the B-King and my bike, I'd say they aren't far apart handling wise, but of course mine isn't as effortless or precise. It's still a 30 year old steel cradle frame, not a modern aluminium delta-box.

On the B-King, I'd cruise at over 100mph with one hand on the bars and the other on the tank sitting upright. Haven't tried that on mine but it was a very nice ride on the track with corner speeds up towards 100mph.

In short: it feels like a modern sportsbike, just not as refined.

Comment

Head should be on it's way from England soon I hope. Got the shipping quote a couple of hours ago. Just sorting out the final details.

In other news: Got the swingarm back from welding today. Would have done it myself but I felt my ally-welding wasn't up to scratch so I left the job to a guy I know who's been welding longer than I've been alive.

Only mistake was this bit below. It was supposed to be leaned the other way (turned around). I'll blame my old man for this mishap since he was the one supervising the welding and the parts were clearly marked "Left" and "Right".

Oh well... "Forgive and forget..."

Next up is making mounts for the fairing. Gonna start sorting that out this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post
        New exhaust arrived today from England. Turned out very nice.

Nice aluminium exhaust spigots were included as well.
        You aren't going to have to take the headers off each time you change the oil filter are you?

Comment

Looks like a small flat spot on #4 exhaust just below the downturn.

Otherwise very very very pretty. And how do the mount collars fit on?

Supreme job, all the way around. My hat is off to you, friend!

Those have got to be the sexiest wheels I've ever seen on any motorcycle bar none!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
            You aren't going to have to take the headers off each time you change the oil filter are you?
            Unfortunately, yes.

But small problems like that is nothing when you've built a bike from the ground up.

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
            Looks like a small flat spot on #4 exhaust just below the downturn.

Otherwise very very very pretty. And how do the mount collars fit on?

Supreme job, all the way around. My hat is off to you, friend!

Those have got to be the sexiest wheels I've ever seen on any motorcycle bar none!
            Yeah, I noticed that as well when I opened the package. However, I didn't think it was worth making a fuzz over. It's barely noticeable and will be even less so once the downpipes start getting a bit of color.

Plus, the bike is made to be used. A few bruises here and there is natural.

The downpipes have collars welded on and these are held into the exhaust ports by the exhaust spigots / flanges which bolt to the head. Just like the stock pipes.

And thanks for the nice comment. I also like the wheels.

Comment

Head is paid for now and should be leaving England today which means it should be arriving at my place sometime next week. Can't wait.

Comment

Been searching for a nice keyless gas cap for days now on eBay but they are either too much bling or too expensive.

But then I remembered: "Hey, I got a heli gas cap down in the basement!" said and done I started digging in some boxes and lo and behold, there it was. It just screams low-tech and racing.

I'll probably start fiddling with this on Saturday after I've made the brackets for the fairing.

Comment

Not sure if it's on my end, but your pics seem to have vanished.
                  EDIT: They seem to have re-appeared now.
                  Meant to ask you what O.D. tubing they used to make the header, and any reason you went with custom-built, instead of maybe opting for a Supertrapp SS header to go with your own mid-pipe & can? Those are 1 5/8 OD ....I have one on my bike currently, and it's oil-change friendly & also supposedly main-stand friendly, though I don't have a main stand. I'm afraid to even ask what they charge in the U.K., to do a custom SS item.
                  '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                    Not sure if it's on my end, but your pics seem to have vanished.
                    EDIT: They seem to have re-appeared now.
                    Meant to ask you what O.D. tubing they used to make the header, and any reason you went with custom-built, instead of maybe opting for a Supertrapp SS header to go with your own mid-pipe & can? Those are 1 5/8 OD ....I have one on my bike currently, and it's oil-change friendly & also supposedly main-stand friendly, though I don't have a main stand. I'm afraid to even ask what they charge in the U.K., to do a custom SS item.
                    It's the same OD on these tubes; 1 5/8".

As for why not using a Supertrapp SS header? Good question.

I thought these were relatively cheap and looked really good. Including the exhaust spigots they cost me £265 with shipping to my door, translated to Swedish Crowns that's like 2800SEK. A chromed V&H Megaphone costs around 4500SEK.

But I suppose that's only part of it. The guy is a member on a few different forums I frequent and he's a really nice fella so I wanted to "pitch in" and help out his business. Plus, buying stuff that's hand made is so much more fun than something that's churned out by the hundreds by a machine.

I can say "I bought a nice handmade exhaust from him!" and he can say "I supplied the exhaust for that bike!". I think it's very rewarding to do business like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindless View Post

I thought these were relatively cheap and looked really good. Including the exhaust spigots they cost me £265 with shipping to my door, translated to Swedish Crowns that's like 2800SEK. A chromed V&H Megaphone costs around 4500SEK.

But I suppose that's only part of it. The guy is a member on a few different forums I frequent and he's a really nice fella so I wanted to "pitch in" and help out his business. Plus, buying stuff that's hand made is so much more fun than something that's churned out by the hundreds by a machine.

I can say "I bought a nice handmade exhaust from him!" and he can say "I supplied the exhaust for that bike!". I think it's very rewarding to do business like that.
                      Sounds good, reasons enough. That price is pretty decent, esp. with shipping included.....wouldn't be much less, I'd think, to have a SS header custom made in N. America. Funny how export pricing works, a V&H chrome system goes for much less here. Agreed, the Supertrapp SS systems may have been made in the thousands, but they aren't that easy to find, these days.....I had been on the lookout for quite some time, before a member here hooked me up (thanks Joe!).
                      Looking forward to seeing what you have in store, to complete that system.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Managed to finish up the upper fairing bracket the other day. Here's how it turned out.

I'm pretty happy with it. Nice and clean.

Now I just need to take some measurements and make a bracket for the lower triple as well and drill some holes.. Should have that sorted sometime this weekend. After that, I'll start working on the tank.

Comment

well 30pages and 2 hours later.... wow your craftsmanship is amazing. this thing is great. i espescially enjoy your oil cooler set up. when you go to paint may i suggest adding some red into the scheme of thing to match your anodized parts.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshStart View Post
                            well 30pages and 2 hours later.... wow your craftsmanship is amazing. this thing is great. i espescially enjoy your oil cooler set up. when you go to paint may i suggest adding some red into the scheme of thing to match your anodized parts.
                            Thanks.

As for the paint, I'm pretty set on a oldschool blue-white-black Yoshimura paintjob. Don't think there will be any red in it except for some decals.

And today (finally, damn postal office) I got the head back from Roger Upperton and I understand now why people speak so highly of him. He did a great job and at the fraction of the price I'd be expected to pay here in Sweden.

So, big thanks to Roger! 8-)

Anyway, less talk and more pictures.

And fitted with my exhaust from Dave (Exhaust Craft).

I'm pretty happy with it.

Need to shave a few fins of the oil pan to get enough clearance for the exhaust. No big deal though.

Comment

Looks great bet shell scream

Comment

Engine/head looks great; on that exhaust at least it is tight to the belly. It has a real nice bend to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X