Footpegs and Batt Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footpegs and Batt Shield

First is the Battery shield...using pods and no airbox I didnt like seeing all the wiring and batt out in the open so I made the Aluminum shield.

Second: Originally I was going to go with rearsets..but after thinking about it I like the stock peg position plus at some point I will have a passenger so I wanted to have that option..however I hated the stock pegs..so this is the right side thats done..uses factory bolt holes and bolts with machined spacers behind it...stood on it and jumped up and down..lol didnt move or flex at all it is .312 6061-T6 AL plate. Pretty happy with the results.

DDM
    Last edited by Guest; 12-14-2009, 07:52 PM.

Cool.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pegs mounted.

Comment

battery shield looks good mate, ihave done the same mod. converted to pods and hidden all the electrickery
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post

First is the Battery shield...using pods and no airbox I didnt like seeing all the wiring and batt out in the open so I made the Aluminum shield.

Second: Originally I was going to go with rearsets..but after thinking about it I like the stock peg position plus at some point I will have a passenger so I wanted to have that option..however I hated the stock pegs..so this is the right side thats done..uses factory bolt holes and bolts with machined spacers behind it...stood on it and jumped up and down..lol didnt move or flex at all it is .312 6061-T6 AL plate. Pretty happy with the results.

DDM
        Are you gonna cut soem cross hataches into that new peg? That would be very slippery when wet. Is the pic squished?

I don't particularly like those OEM pegs either so that looks like a nice solution. Alternatively you could put some of that adhesive backed antiskid (like sandpaper). A little strip (or a couple of blocks) on top would look good as well.
        Last edited by posplayr; 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

LOL. A batt shield sounds like something that the Joker or the Riddler would use.

Comment

rt and left side mounted up

Comment

Looks great DDM

Comment

Looks good, I would have taken the support place closer to the holes for a look that fits in with the skinny frame tubes better but that's just me
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Those pegs look smooth mounted up. How much rearward did they end up moving your foot position?

Comment

Not sure blocking the airflow to the battery area (especially depending on where your R/R unit is located) is such a great idea.

Here was my solution. The frame bracing placed an X of cross members in that spot behind pods, in front of battery, so made a backing plate and mounted R/R unit there.

Those pegs do look nice.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                      Not sure blocking the airflow to the battery area (especially depending on where your R/R unit is located) is such a great idea.
                      Take a good look at a stock bike. How much airflow is there at the battery?

Now the regulator, that might be a different story. The regulators on my 850s are all under the battery, not sure how much airflow is there.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"The regulators on my 850s are all under the battery, not sure how much airflow is there."

That was more my concern then the battery itself.

On fabrication in general, trying to learn how to use the emachineshop CAD tool. I know I have some in my future, but don't own the nice stuff some of you guys do to create it, and unimoressed with the machine shops in my areas customer service skills.

Comment

Originally posted by LilTinc View Post
                          Those pegs look smooth mounted up. How much rearward did they end up moving your foot position?

They are actually in the same positon as the originals maybe back an 1/8th inch if that...I personally like the stock peg location for a street bike..if at some point I decide to do a solo seat etc I'll end up making new pegs and rearsets..

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Take a good look at a stock bike. How much airflow is there at the battery?

Now the regulator, that might be a different story. The regulators on my 850s are all under the battery, not sure how much airflow is there.

Yeah I thought about that too...mine is under the Batt. I think if I do anything I'll punch a few holes in it for airflow...the battery I'm not worried about..theirs plenty of airflow through the frame and sidecovers..especially if you use an AGM battery...the trucks I work on theirs 4 Batteries in an Aluminum box with almost no airflow..good points tho thanks for the replies.

DDM

Comment

here is a (rubbish) picture of my battery shield. still plenty of airflow underneath but it does fill a big hole!

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                              X