No announcement yet.

'82 750e Cafe Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love how it's coming. Where did you get the exhaust? & did you have to do any carb work with the new pipes?

Comment

Originally posted by jonmasaya View Post
      Seems like a lot of work. I'm all about simple solutions. Do I have to cut the spring as well?
      I've just pulled apart the forks on my 1100 EZ. The hardest part about the whole thing is pulling the forks out of the clamps, which you're going to have to do to push them up farther anyways. Since you'll have to do it anyways, difficulty should be about the same. Plus, inspect and/or rebuild your forks at the same time!

Hillsy, is that red bit you highlighted a PVC spacer, or is it metal? I don't have it on my bike's fiche, just a small piston with an o-ring around it that sits right beneath the adjuster.

Either way, aluminum or PVC, should be easy enough for a hacksaw.

Comment

Originally posted by huzier View Post
        Love how it's coming. Where did you get the exhaust? & did you have to do any carb work with the new pipes?
        The exhaust is Mac 4into1. I got it from http://www.procycledepot.com/. They have free shipping on orders over $99, so saved a bunch there.

The Mac exhausts will normally work without re-jetting the carbs if you are using the stock airbox. (which also means you won't get much performance gain from them). I chose it for the look and price.

I also put pod filters on though, and those definitely require re-jetting. I picked up the DynoJet Stage 3 kit. I also needed a replacement petcock to accommodate the increased flow.

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
        I've just pulled apart the forks on my 1100 EZ. The hardest part about the whole thing is pulling the forks out of the clamps, which you're going to have to do to push them up farther anyways. Since you'll have to do it anyways, difficulty should be about the same. Plus, inspect and/or rebuild your forks at the same time!
        Cool! That's definitely preferable to having stubs sticking up from the triple. I still need to find a way to get the weight off the front though. Might just borrow my friend's bike-jack.

Comment

Nice job!!

Cool looking cafe, I like it a lot!!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post

Hillsy, is that red bit you highlighted a PVC spacer, or is it metal? I don't have it on my bike's fiche, just a small piston with an o-ring around it that sits right beneath the adjuster.
            The schematic is for a (newer) GS500 which has a metal spacer above the springs. I don't think the older GS models had a spacer, so you can either try and compress the existing spring (if they are a bit sagged you might be in luck), or cut a few coils out (cut them from the "tighter" coiled (or top) end).

The spacer below the damper rod can be metal or PVC, but probably best to go metal down there (it will cop a bit more of a beating on rebound than the top spring will).
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by jonmasaya View Post
              The exhaust is Mac 4into1. I got it from http://www.procycledepot.com/. They have free shipping on orders over $99, so saved a bunch there.

The Mac exhausts will normally work without re-jetting the carbs if you are using the stock airbox. (which also means you won't get much performance gain from them). I chose it for the look and price.

I also put pod filters on though, and those definitely require re-jetting. I picked up the DynoJet Stage 3 kit. I also needed a replacement petcock to accommodate the increased flow.

Cool! That's definitely preferable to having stubs sticking up from the triple. I still need to find a way to get the weight off the front though. Might just borrow my friend's bike-jack.
              My bike is ROCK solid without the front end, I just used the centerstand, and put two regular jack-stands underneath the front of the frame rails. Didn't even require a jack to get it on the jackstands. I'll snap a few pictures when I get back from work in a few hours. Hopefully I'll have my fork rebuild tutorial/walkthrough complete this weekend, it'll show you how easy replacing all the wear items and rubber bits is. Hardest part is removal, most annoying part is cleaning the crap out of everything. I am a bit of a neat-freak though. Hillsy get's all the credit for knowing how to shorten the forks without having stubs, but I'll take credit for letting you know how easy forks really are to do.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                The schematic is for a (newer) GS500 which has a metal spacer above the springs. I don't think the older GS models had a spacer, so you can either try and compress the existing spring (if they are a bit sagged you might be in luck), or cut a few coils out (cut them from the "tighter" coiled (or top) end).

The spacer below the damper rod can be metal or PVC, but probably best to go metal down there (it will cop a bit more of a beating on rebound than the top spring will).

Thanks for the info! My bike doesn't even have a spacer (1100EZ), but it's good to know in case I'm in a position to help others. I can't imagine putting one in, the Progressive were about twice as stiff as the stockers, and I nearly blew a gasket getting the fork caps back on. Then I realized bolting them into the clamps would make things muuuuuuuuch easier.

Comment

did you have to cut the frame to fit that seat?

Also where did you get that seat?

looks good

Comment

Comment

That's the epitome of "naked". Looks pretty good. Not my taste though. Nice job!
                      Current Bikes:
                      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

have any more info on that seat? thats what im aiming for with my 79 550.

Comment

bump on the seat question

bump on the seat

Comment

Very, very nice. Anything lately???
                            -KR

Comment

Working...
                            X