some pics of my 82 1100g wheel repaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some pics of my 82 1100g wheel repaint

well its been raining here so i decided to take make a start of tidying up my wheels. I completed the front wheel today while watching the cricket in the garage. Had thought about powdercoating but with limited funds I thought I'd see how I go. The wheels are pretty filthy so I worked on the alloy first, sanding back with 240 grit, then 800, then 1200 then a final polish with some mothers. Came up alright. I then taped off the black parts and sprayed 3 coats with black gloss engine paint. I went with the engine paint as it seems to take a bit more of a beating.

The next thing I'd really like to do is clean up the alloy gearbox covers. Any tips would be appreciated.

heres the finished wheel

Comment

heres the rest of the bike

Comment

Well done old mate . Nice looking ride you've got there . Cheers , Simon .
        http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Sand them with progressively finer paper. Stop at about 800 grit if you want a factory look, go finer if you want a polished finish.

Find some high temp clear to paint over them with unless you like polishing.....
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
          X