Anyone repaired broken plastics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone repaired broken plastics?

Hey everyone, Was wondering if anyone here has tried to repair cracked side covers or tail pieces? I did a search on google and lots of different recommendations and wondering if anyone has done it here.

Anyone know what kind plastic these side covers and tails are made of?

Originally posted by Mpenner View Post
    Hey everyone, Was wondering if anyone here has tried to repair cracked side covers or tail pieces? I did a search on google and lots of different recommendations and wondering if anyone has done it here.

Never seen it done; please post up if you find anything

Comment

I have "welded" them with a soldering iron, also used epoxy glue and dryer sheets. Both held until I sold the bike. Snowbeard, is my welding job still holding together?
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have been reading about fixing these for couple hours now (I'm lil obsessive) and seems like it is very possible to repair them with Black ABS cement from any hardware store, Some ABS primer, and a lil bit of fiberglass mat or screen.

Clean back side of cover, scuff up the plastic with some sandpaper, lil bit of ABS primer, and then some Abs cement on the back side with lil bit of fiberglass mat laid into it. then after it dries put lil bit bigger piece of fiberglass that is covered in ABS cement and then repeat.

Sound like it would work???

What should be used as a filler on the front? I know bondo is a no no because it will crack and fall off because of vibrations, any know good flexible filler?
        Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2010, 01:01 AM.

Comment

You can get flexable bondo Used to repair bumpers.. If you want Harbor Freight sells a plastic welding kit around $40-50 as I remember. Comes with different types of filler rods depending on material

Comment

I used jb weld (quick) and some of the mesh type drywall repair tape on the back side of mine and it worked.I prepped it with a sharp knife first (ie roughed it up abit)added the jb weld then pusshed the mesh into it.

James

Comment

I did the JB weld thing, too, but after a summer of riding, it cracked. JB is too stiff for this application.

Comment

Originally posted by Mpenner View Post

What model? I may have a replacement piece..

Comment

Its a 81 GS650, and I read on net that JB weld is infct to hard and will crack because it can't flex a little bit. We need like a flexible 2-ton expoxy! anyone know of any

Are side covers interchangeable between models?

I'd be only interested in flexible bodyfiller to fill in on the front so I could paint and have it look smooth

Comment

Pretty sure the plastic is ABS...

ABS welding rods would be the way to go.. but I would still use some mesh on the back as a strengthener.

Comment

PLASTIC WELDER..made by DEVCON. Same company that makes 5 minute epoxy...just posted on cliffs post about how i made new tabs for the sdie covers on my 750s..PM me an email addy and i can send you the poics of the results. Fill in any cracks in the side covers with the goop , sand, and repaint.. Cost is about 5 bucks and its a two part mix just like the 5 minute epoxy.. got mine at local mom and pop hardware.
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 02-01-2010, 09:09 PM.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

On automobile bumper covers I have used a hot glue gun with slices of material gouged out of the backside of the original part with a chisel.

When applying the melted material, I worked the hot glue gun around where I was repairing to get the cover almost to the melting point, and inject the new melted material in bit by bit while working it in.

Works great, but a fair bit of practice is needed to be able to feel when the plastic is almost melted, but not melted yet. The extra heat from the melted material should "kick" it into melting.

Works well, just make sure that the hot glue gun is new and clean, the little dollar store ones work great since they get hotter than a real hot glue gun.

Be prepared for a little smell, and a little smoke, and practice on a scrap piece first so you can learn how to minimize the extra heat that will ruin the face of the part.

EDIT: I also hold an aluminum heat sink from a computer on the face side to transfer any extra heat away as quickly as possible.
                        Hope this helps,
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2010, 11:18 PM.

Comment

O.K., I'm getting old so I better tell someone my secret before I keel over. Go to the nearest boat supply store and pick up a small box of a product called "Marinetex". Get the plastic formula, not the metal formula. This stuff is for repairing boat hulls, jet skis, whatever. So, Easy fix. Scuff up the backside of the part with some 80 grit abrasive paper and wash parts up with soapy water, then rinse. Let part completely dry. Clean and dry is key. Follow instruction on the package for mixing ( it's a 2 part plastic ) and be precise. The stuff can be " worked " for a few minutes until it starts to harden. Leave it alone for a day or two. Do not rush. Then, sand and fill any imperfections with either more Marinetex of body glazing putty. I've been using the stuff for years.
                          streetfighters

Comment

Repairing Plastics

Originally posted by malibuman View Post
                            I used jb weld (quick) and some of the mesh type drywall repair tape on the back side of mine and it worked.I prepped it with a sharp knife first (ie roughed it up abit)added the jb weld then pusshed the mesh into it.

James
                            I used JB weld too, with a bit of fiberglass window srceen I had left from rescreening the storm doors a few years ago, it did a good job but you really need the screen to add the strength. Its amazing how thin Suzuki made the tops of the sidecovers where the nubs pop thru the gromets, I bet there are a ton of cracked and missing covers because of that design

Comment

Plastic weld is the way to go.

Here's a CbF panel I repaired with plastic welding. Solder iron and some pieces of ptf plastic. Most bodywork is abs though.

Here's the crack, I know it's small but it could have spread.

Backside welded up

Followed by welding on the outside.

Some filler

Some sanding

Some paint blending

Some Stripe blending in

Final clear coat and good as new

Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2010, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X