Anyone repaired broken plastics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plastics repair

Do it from the inside, where it cannot be seen. This way, the repair can be ugly, but not seen.

Comment

Go to your local automotive paint store. They should be able to hook you up with some Fusor plastic repair products. I would recommend the Fusor 142 extreme plastic repair epoxy with some reinforcing mesh for the back side repair, and their Fusor 114 finishing cosmetic filler for the front. Both products bond extremely well to most plastics, (although in some cases you might need to use fusor's adhesion promotor), and feather out nicely when sanded.

Comment

this stuff works, I've fixed lots of plastic panels with it and the big fender flares on a ford dually. It is expensive, about $50 for the smallest kit.
        I don't know if its still available.
        the link on the google video goes to fleshlights?! stuff, never heard of them before, but some of you may be interested in that as well .
        I ordered the large kit from Home Hardware 3 or 4 years ago.
        PLASTEX
        http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9209022121022498415#

Product Information OverviewPlastex plastic repair products will work with virtually all plastics. Methods used to make repairs, replace or bond materials wi...

EDIT:looks like its gone...rats, i still have some somewhere. I wonder what it actually is?
        apparently more money in fleshlights, .....can't make enough of them i suppose..... pathetic.
        Plastex was a good product.Keep an eye out for it at Liquidation World or a dollar store near you.
        Last edited by derwood; 02-02-2010, 11:37 PM.
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

googled it and theres a bike shop that sells it..very interesting stuff.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I repair, and modify my plastics. Try Urenthane Supply Company. www.urenthanesupply.com They will have everything you need to repair all types of plastics.

Comment

Originally posted by Nunzio View Post
              Here's a CbF panel I repaired with plastic welding. Solder iron and some pieces of ptf plastic. Most bodywork is abs though.

Here's the crack, I know it's small but it could have spread.
              Final clear coat and good as new

That is a very nice repair

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                That is a very nice repair
                +1. Can't even tell it was damaged.

Comment

Plenty of good ideas here. Basically, any decent epoxy will do the job. Screen or some other type of mesh for reinforcement helps, too. With epoxies, if you can find one with a longer working time, you will generally get more flexibility in the cured material. I'm currently setting up a couple of fairing patches to try out System Three Quickfair fairing putty. It's a filled, two part epoxy that comes in special cartridge for use in a regular caulking gun. I'll report back on it when I finally finish the work.
                  JP
                  1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                  1992 Concours
                  2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                  2007 FJR

Comment

While I see some people doing this, I dont think it has been mentioned explicitly:

One of the primary things to do when making a plastic crack repair is to grind out the crack so that you dont have a butt joint remaining from the crack.

That is a tremendous stress riser and needs to be removed. Either by grinding away and refilling with a structural filler or melting the edges together and then filling over the top with something that can be non structural.

In addition since you do have a crack, it usually means that the structure was not strong enough in that particular area in the first place. Adding structural additional material to spread the load beyond the original parts design would be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
                      Plenty of good ideas here. Basically, any decent epoxy will do the job. Screen or some other type of mesh for reinforcement helps, too. With epoxies, if you can find one with a longer working time, you will generally get more flexibility in the cured material.
                      I've repaired side cover cracks by roughing up the plastic on the back side with 80 grit and then opening up the crack with a V-cut to allow slow dry epoxy to get down inside. Overlay with a nice sized piece of fiberglass mat followed by more epoxy. Once the epoxy is dry you can sand it down on the back side to smooth out any lumps, and use a touch of high quality body filler as necessary on the front side. The glass patch will give the repair area some stiffness and keep it from cracking again - it will be stiffer that the original material.

Some before and after shots...

Last edited by Nessism; 02-05-2010, 04:06 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Here are some of my body panels and fairings that I plastic welded. As you can see, these panels were completely changed using the stock plastic panels and designing around them, welding the large areas with plastic filler rod and reinforcing stainless steel mesh. Epoxies meant for plastics or welding rod specifically for the type of plastic you are welding, are what I would recommend. Plastic's bend, flex, go through vibration, temperature change, sunlight, sudden jolts from roadway conditions...etc. A small crack maybe you can get away with, but for tabs, anything for strength, or covering large areas, I would recommend using the right components specifically for use with welding plastic. 1st pic 2005 GSXR 600, 2nd pic 2008 Hayabusa, 3rd pic 2005 Hayabusa.

Comment

Working...
                        X