Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any was to fit a GS1100E tank on a 79 GS100 frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any was to fit a GS1100E tank on a 79 GS100 frame?

The title says it all..

I got a 82-83 GS1100E tank with a bunch of other parts and tried it on the 79 GS1000L just for fun and DAMN it looks good!
    the narrow L seat really looks good on the GS1100 tank..

The big issues is the frame.. the tank won't sit down all the way as it's hitting the backbone and ends up 3" high in the rear.

Any idea or examples other than beating in the bottom of a good tank?

Maybe face defeat now and trade it for a GS1000E tank or nice L tank

There is always a way, but you have to look at the area in conflict and decide one of 3 solutions.

1. Modify the tank to fit on the frame as is.
    2. Modify the frame to fit the tank as is.
    3. Modifry the frame and tank to fit each other.

Im sure if you really wanted to make it work you could, but I know none of those options would be something I would want to venture into.

Comment

For what it's worth...the '80/81 GS1100E tank is a better fit. I know it doesn't look as good as the one you have. But it will sit perfectly. Ask RenoBruce if he still has pics of the latest bike he picked up. It has the GS1100 tank on it.

In addition to changing the look of the bike, the bigger GS1100 tank will increase your range.

edit...I'm looking back now, and I see you have a L model bike. I think I better take back what I said. I know for sure the '80/81 GS1100E tank will fit the '78/79 GS1000E. But I'm not sure about your L. My apologies.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-02-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post

edit...I'm looking back now, and I see you have a L model bike. I think I better take back what I said. I know for sure the '80/81 GS1100E tank will fit the '78/79 GS1000E. But I'm not sure about your L. My apologies.
        I think it may fit if you cut off the forward "L" tank mount from the frame and weld it into the spot it would have been if the frame were not an "L" model. It is hiding under that black plastic piece that hides forward part of the frame.

At least some of the"L"s had the unused location there in the frame, not sure if you bike has it. It was a 750 or 850 L we were looking at.

And I don't know if the rear part of the tank would sit down on the frame correctly.
        Measure three or four times, cross your fingers and cut? Might want to bring a hammer.

The rear tank attachment is one horizontal bolt for the E, two vertical bolts for the L but that should be easy to modify.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tkent You are correct about the L front tank mounts..

There is a hold through the stock E locations ont he neck brace.. All it would take is a pece of rod, 2 washers and some time with a welder.

I now have a spare GS1000 L frame I need to dispose of so I may try some assorted hacks on that one to see if it can be done without major carnage.

Comment

I am fixin to do the same thing this weekend by fitting a '81 GS1100EX tank on my '80 GS1100L frame. Tank is longer, so I plan to use a couple of washers, long bolt, the original tank gromets and some ingenuity. I will post pics on monday if I am successful.

Comment

Am successful, tank mounted up nicely to predrilled holes on my "L" frame. Camera didnot cooperate. It can be done and looks nice.

Comment

Nice.. So I just need to trade my 82 E tank for an 81

Comment

Originally posted by cowb0y View Post
                  Am successful, tank mounted up nicely to predrilled holes on my "L" frame. Camera didnot cooperate. It can be done and looks nice.
                  What did you do for the rear bolt?
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X