Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar End Mirrors

Hi,
    I got bar-end mirrors to put on my new handlebars. The left side one I got on ok, it has a peice of metal that expands in the bar as you tighten the bolt. But, how do install the right side mirror? Do i have to chop of the end of the throttle tube? How do I get it on? Thanks,

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
    Hi,
    Do i have to chop of the end of the throttle tube? How do I get it on? Thanks,
    Just cut the plastic out of the end.

Comment

Hi,
      I got bar-end mirrors to put on my new handlebars. The left side one I got on ok, it has a peice of metal that expands in the bar as you tighten the bolt. But, how do install the right side mirror? Do i have to chop of the end of the throttle tube? How do I get it on? Thanks,
      the RHS one goes on just the same. Yr actual throttle sleeve shouldn't have an end, but if so lopp it off and move back a mm to clear it.

I'd be interested in your results w.r.t. vibration. I've found all the paddle type bar-end mirrors are as much use as a chocolate teapot. This commonly found wrapbackaround type is a lot better imo. Then again, wide bars and solid mounted motors exassibate the issue so ymmv. What type have you got?

Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by conrad View Post
        the RHS one goes on just the same. Yr actual throttle sleeve shouldn't have an end, but if so lopp it off and move back a mm to clear it.
        My throttle grip had a solid plastic end, i just cut it.
        I cant see any problem with it.

BTW, you've got some funny looking tractors across the ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
          My throttle grip had a solid plastic end, i just cut it.
          I cant see any problem with it.

BTW, you've got some funny looking tractors across the ditch.

there be no Harley Fergusons in my shed

Comment

thanks everybody. Got them on, took it for a test drive ad there was no vibration, hopefully it will stay that way
            I can actually see whats behind me with these too, which is better than the old ones.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2010, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I can actually see whats behind me with these too, which is better than the old ones.
              http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/z...rdnoise004.jpg
              good work chap.
              Are those not on the wrong way round but, L<->R ? If you've chosen that way for a reason then sorry for a daft question.

My eyes are funny. rubbish lager (Haast brand - fly like the eagle)

regards

Comment

Originally posted by conrad View Post
                good work chap.
                Are those not on the wrong way round but, L<->R ? If you've chosen that way for a reason then sorry for a daft question.

My eyes are funny. rubbish lager (Haast brand - fly like the eagle)

regards
                Yeh, if those are the Napoleons then I have the same on my GS'er. Flip em' around and you'll see a lot more of the road. Particularly that stupid cow in the white sentra that may decide to ride your ass until she passes you on the right and then decides to cut you off once she realizes that she has to take the freeway exit that drops off in the fast-lane. That inch of extra visibility will allow you to catch the jerk of the pupil as she visually plots her trajectory of potential destruction.

Comment

Nice work!

I replaced the stock mirrors on my 550L with the smaller bem's, mainly because I'm a pretty big guy, and all I could see in the mirror was my upper arm!

I have a question, I noticed that you (like a lot of others on GSR) have flipped your bars around. How do you get around the little tab on the throttle housing that goes into the hole in the handlebars? Forgive me, I don't know what the tab or the hole are called. I just know I noticed it when fiddling with the throttle while installing my bem's and wondered how you all go about flipping your bars when you apparently need a hole in the throttle side.

thanks!

Andre

Comment

As you may have realized, the tab is there to keep the throttle housing from turning on the bars. Not really necessary imho. If you change your handle bars to non-stock units, you can bend the tab up and out of the way or drill a small hole in the new bars. Your choice.

Comment

yep, figured that's what it was for. just didn't know it was that easy to get around.

thanks for the info! I might see how I like mine with the bars flipped. Anyone try it on the L model and hate it?

Comment

Originally posted by drejal View Post
                        yep, figured that's what it was for. just didn't know it was that easy to get around.

thanks for the info! I might see how I like mine with the bars flipped. Anyone try it on the L model and hate it?
                        i had a 550L, and I hated it. -but bars are totally subjective aye? try everything, its the only way to work out the secret rules of bars. That's also the beauty too of course, diversity in everything, bars, bikes, people. Like even a Lada has an adjustable seat ffs, so any pipesmoker's idea of the Right bars is just bolx. (can y'guess I'm not 5'11" and 13stone lol).

For me, I like drags, nearly-drags, umm tillers, bad T-bars, and the obligatory jota bars. -and the secet rules of bars? #1 is to be as far away from machine-gunners as possible.

rgds

Comment

Of course it's not a 550L but just wanted to show you flipped bars and bar end mirrors.

Actually, I'm in the process of changing the bars, I bought some clubman bars and because of the new bars, I had to change my turn signals and I'm now manufacturing new upper mount brackets for the fairing.
                          http://www.visitedstatesmap.com/imag...TXUTWAWIsm.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

ooops-are they on backwords? Which way are they supposed to go? Both mirrors seems exactly the same,
                            Does the wider part of the mirror go on the outside? Or is that not what you mean? thanks,

Comment

I didnt know about the tabs either, but i was able to drill a hole into the new bars easily with my rechargeable drill.

Nice work!

I replaced the stock mirrors on my 550L with the smaller bem's, mainly because I'm a pretty big guy, and all I could see in the mirror was my upper arm!

I have a question, I noticed that you (like a lot of others on GSR) have flipped your bars around. How do you get around the little tab on the throttle housing that goes into the hole in the handlebars? Forgive me, I don't know what the tab or the hole are called. I just know I noticed it when fiddling with the throttle while installing my bem's and wondered how you all go about flipping your bars when you apparently need a hole in the throttle side.

thanks!

Andre

Comment

Working...
                              X