Frustration at the paint supply stores.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustration at the paint supply stores.

I got a little annoyed and frankly frustrated today at a couple of auto paint suppliers. I am painting my rims and getting ready to start on the body work and I wanted to pick up some hardner for my clearcoat. I have about a pint left from last year which would be more than enough for one bike. I go to my regular guy only to find out its changed ownership. No biggy but they couldn't find me in their data base to see what I bought last time. When we figured it out I find out they don't make that formulation anymore and as a consequence I can't get hardner. So I guess I need new clear, hardner and the appropriate thinners or cleaner.

Only problem is they no longer package in smaller quantities and I can't get quarts ( you only need a few ounces to clear a bike). I can now only get gallons and paint and hardner alone runs to close on $200. Yikes, that's enough paint for me to do 10 bikes.

Tried a couple of other places and its much the same story so now I'm a bit bummed.

As I've mentioned before, 2 part urethane is the only stuff I've found that stands up to gas so rattle can is not an option at least for the tank.

I guess I'm going to have to keep searching unless anyone knows of any suppliers around Hamilton that sells smaller quantities.

Cheers all,
    Spyug

Originally posted by spyug View Post
    As I've mentioned before, 2 part urethane is the only stuff I've found that stands up to gas so rattle can is not an option at least for the tank.
    Sucks man. Not sure I can help but they do make 2 part urethane clears in a can now. Check here:

SprayMax now offers a 2 part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat. This 2k urethane Clear Coat spray has a much higher U.V. and weather resistance than any standard aerosol clearcoat on the market today.

I've read many testimonials from people who have used it that say they have had zero issues with gas and also that it has the best shine they have ever seen. Just another option possibly. Hope you get it figured out.
    -Theo

Comment

You may want to try these guys (http://www.paintcircuit.com/) a try. They have three location in the GTA and they were pretty helpful the las time I was there. I know it's a bit far from Hamilton but they might be able to help you over the phone.

Comment

Any PPG stores in your area?

Also when ya get ready to do the wheels and olnly need a small amount buy the stuff in the rattle can, de-pressure-ize the can by holding it upside down and holding the nozzle. Open the can and use the paint in a real sprayer. Be warned though the paint is a bit(a lot) thinner so you may have to ceat it several times.
        Painted manya chevy rally wheels using this little redneck method.
        Works great and its dang cheap.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

A bit of good luck today. The supplier called to say they had found one of the 8 oz. hardners in their Barrie store. They're going to transfer it and I'll get it Tuesday all for $13 so I'm a happy camper again.

Its a long weekend for us this weekend so I took an early start this afternoon. I managed to paint some of the body work (fender, tail and side panels) and am working on the other bits.

I'm going to clear the wheels tonight with rattle can ( as Octain suggests) but I'll use the urethane on the tank and body parts.

This weekend I'm going to hang all the bits and pieces of the running gear back on.

If my decals show up next week I should be able to complete the body work and I likely can have it more or less complete by next weekend and that would put me about a month ahead of schedule. How did that happen?

I guess we'll see.

cheers all,
          spyug

Comment

They have been tightening the screws on the VOC's for years here in California. High VOC clear was outlawed some time ago and now almost all the solvent based paint is being replaced by waterborne. I resorted to mail ordering the paint needed for my 1000S project, and wound up spending a LOT of money since good quality auto paint is so expensive these days. Not sure what to do for the future.
            Last edited by Nessism; 02-13-2010, 11:55 AM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I do not know the brand of clear you use but Nason 476 comes is small cans. It is a two part clear and very forgiving to shoot. I have used for clearing several helmets and one bike without any issues.

But I am glad you got your hardener, it is way better to shoot with something your familiar with.

I used Dupli-color wheel paint (clear coat) and it is okay if you do not cut and polish. I went through it twice with 2000 grit paper.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

The Napa near me carries small containers of just about everything.
                Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  The have been tightening the screws on the VOC's for years here in California. High VOC clear was outlawed some time ago and now almost all the solvent based paint is being replaced by waterborne. I resorted to mail ordering the paint needed for my 1000S project, and wound up spending a LOT of money since good quality auto paint is so expensive these days. Not sure what to do for the future.
                  Here in Ontario paint is going water borne as well. But primers and clears do not have to be as of yet. It does not make since.

Comment

There's a company that caters to motorcycle painters called Color Rite. You can buy all the materials you need, specifically to match factory color schemes. I used their products on a Kawasaki GPz 550 project bike I'm doing for Moto Retro Illustrated magazine. Nice stuff. Paint comes in pints, quarts of clear, high-build primer, quarts of reducer, and the hardeners needed all come with it.
                    Last edited by nvr2old; 02-13-2010, 01:11 PM.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                      There's a company that caters to motorcycle painters called Color Rite. You can buy all the materials you need, specifically to match factory color schemes. I used their products on a Kawasaki GPz 550 project bike I'm doing for Moto Retro Illustrated magazine. Nice stuff. Paint comes in pints, quarts of clear, high-build primer, quarts of reducer, and the hardeners needed all come with it.
                      Ya, but they do not have all the colors early GSX and GS molds are not listed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
                        Ya, but they do not have all the colors early GSX and GS molds are not listed at all.
                        The cross index is here for all the Suzuki OEM color codes.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...65&postcount=1

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          The cross index is here for all the Suzuki OEM color codes.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...65&postcount=1

IS there anyplace on the bike that would show the factory paint code like it does on cars?

Comment

i think its in the vin on the frame

Comment

Working...
                            X