Found an 82 Katana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found an 82 Katana?

I found an 82 1100 Katana I guy is selling and it has what appears to be nickel coated frame. I'm assuming it is, because the bike has been sitting outside for several years and it is not oxidized or rusted. Havn't done any research so maybe a silly question.. were they ever stock this way? or is it just someones attempt at bling?

82 katana is a 1000, 83 katana is an 1100. So something has been mixed up here or the motor has ben swapped. Someone probably did some customizing to it, frames are painted silver from the factory. Try to get a picture up.

Comment

If it is nickel plated that would be sooo cool!

Comment

I agree with Tarbash. My 82 and 83 750's are both silver painted frames.

Chris
        1983 750 Katana
        1982 750 Katana (parts use)
        1983 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
          I found an 82 1100 Katana I guy is selling and it has what appears to be nickel coated frame. I'm assuming it is, because the bike has been sitting outside for several years and it is not oxidized or rusted. Havn't done any research so maybe a silly question.. were they ever stock this way? or is it just someones attempt at bling?
          82 1100 Kats were produced - lots of them, but each receiving country only got a limited supply. But they weren't imported in to the US. Check the VIN on the steering head, that will tell you the year and original destination. If the VIN is 82 and North America (see below), it would be a Canadian model and there would be other telltale signs (such as body paint, engine paint, footpegs, wheels, exhaust, speedo...) Could be a legitimate 82 1100 imported by an individual.

For North America,
          An 82 1000SZ VIN would look like JS1GT72A_C_ _ _ _ _ _ _
          An 82 1100SZ VIN would look like JS1GU72A_C_ _ _ _ _ _ _
          An 83 1100SD VIN would look like JS1GU72A_D_ _ _ _ _ _ _

In the mid-80's, a very few Kats left the factory with red painted frames, again not for the US market. (This was also copied by individuals so be careful if you see a red framed Kat) However, as noted previously, none came from the factory nickel/chrome plated.

Suzuki made 1100 Katanas up to 2000 - in pretty much the exact same configuration as the original 82, with minor teaks here and there. A few years ago, a guy had a 1999 model 1100 Kat on ebay, about 1.2 miles showing on the clocks, for $10,000. If I recall, he bought the bike for $6k, and paid $4k to ship it back to the states. A year or so ago, a guy had an 82 red framed 1100 for sale - asking $3500. From the VIN, it was a European model, 82 1100, but the red was a personal modification.. It's pretty rare to find a legitimate 82 1100 in the states. PM me if you want more details.
          Last edited by gs scott; 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM.
          Scott
          1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
          1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
          1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
          2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate :) 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Scott,

I am going to go have another look at it this weekend and maybe shoot the guy another offer. Great informationl, I'll update as soon as I know.

Comment

Nickel plating was a fairly popular owner mod back in the day - I did a few bikes and it was cheap too (not so nowadays).
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Some markets received the 1100cc Katanas before the 1000cc models, the first shipment of GSX1100SZ Kats were on sale in Australia from Sep/Oct 1981. These were the all silver version that ran through until the 1983 model with two tone paint bodies and black engines arrived. And just to confirm what has already been stated here, all model Katana frames were painted, none were ever nickel, they should have been!!!!! For info on the US model Kats, Scott is one of the best informed members here, cheers.
                Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
                Shin-Ken 1074
                1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Thanks for all the response, I'll see if I can snap a pic and post it up.

Comment

-kr

Comment

Working...
                    X