Air Box Restorification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Box Restorification

Alright. Bike's going to be down for around a month or so while I get my clutch rebuilt. This gives me time to get a lot of things done that I've been neglecting in order to maximize riding time. One of those things was to get my air intake signal all nice and factory like. I've completely removed the carbs, and have the disassembled both portions of the airbox. The plan is to have the carbs disassembled, cleaned, painted, and re-jetted for my V&H pipe.

The single large connector between the air filter housing and the carb airbox is still quite supple. No cracks, cleaned up nice with soap and water.

The airbox to carb boots are also nice and supple, though I did destroy the retaining rings while I was removing them. What's the best way to install the new ones when I reassemble?

The carb to engine boots are pretty much toast. They don't look terrible, but closer inspection reveals that the carb side of the boot is cracked and starting to dry out, while the engine side is still supple and crack free. New ones are in route.

Air box bits and air filter housing are all in decent shape. No holes, or breaks at any of the seams. Some deeper scratches from ham-fisted installation/removals, but they're only cosmetic. There's a bit of discoloration, I suspect from UV rays. What's the best way to deal with this? Paint? Polishing?

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
    There's a bit of discoloration, I suspect from UV rays. What's the best way to deal with this? Paint? Polishing?
    Mine is still orig and discolored a bit too. I think it was from years of using silicone based cleaners. Im curious to see how you color yours.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

No air box on my bike, but 'Back To Black' might do the trick.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
      X