clear coats for powder coating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clear coats for powder coating?

Do powder coats need a clear coat? What do ya'll think, recomend ect?

Usually when you have something powder coated there is no need for clear. When you pick your color there are several different choices of gloss in each color, I just had my frame done at 20% gloss which is basically Satin. As an example you can go with 40% , 60%, 80% or high gloss in black.

Comment

Here are some parts I had done in high gloss black, no clear on any of them..

Comment

only cetain powders require a clear coat powder for protection.. like chrome, or black chrome... they require a clear coat. From what i understand it has to do with the UV protection and scratch resistance of metallic(reflective) colors.

Comment

Correct, no need for clear.

IMHO it will last longer with some protection, as with any paint.

Garage kept, or protectant.

Depends on the formulation and pigment of the powder if it will withstand UV and ozone. In a past life, we did many tests with salt spray to get a better formulation that would last. Most will chalk to some degree, a good rub with a good wax, even one time makes it last a lot longer.

Dings where bare metal becomes exposed can and will allow creep with corosion under the paint. Especially where galvanic cells are present. IE, aluminum and stainless or aluminum and brass.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2010, 09:49 AM.

Comment

If your going to get something PC'ed. Make you talk to you coater about what the finish will take. i.e. solvents,scratch resistant,chip resistant. Had a frame done and didn't realize you couldn't get near it with solvents. I was very disappointed.
            I guess there are several different kinds of coatings.

Comment

Originally posted by wera90ex View Post
              If your going to get something PC'ed. Make you talk to you coater about what the finish will take. i.e. solvents,scratch resistant,chip resistant. Had a frame done and didn't realize you couldn't get near it with solvents. I was very disappointed.
              I guess there are several different kinds of coatings.
              Good point here, there are different types of powder coat, just as there are different types of liquid paint.

I know just enough to be dangerous on this subject but from what I know epoxy powder is more expensive and more durable against rust than polyester powder. Not sure about chemical resistance. I've seen salt spray test samples and epoxy powder was superior.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Good point here, there are different types of powder coat, just as there are different types of liquid paint.

I know just enough to be dangerous on this subject but from what I know epoxy powder is more expensive and more durable against rust than polyester powder. Not sure about chemical resistance. I've seen salt spray test samples and epoxy powder was superior.
                As said before certain powders do require a clear as well as anything thats two toned in powder, chrome will turn black once exposed to UV, Which sucks cause the chrome powder looks amazing when it comes out the oven, and the clear kinda dulls it down a little, Certain metallics do as well, I did a set of wheels Anthracite Metallic and that required clear, As so alot of candies etc. Some colors are actually made to change color with a clear, There is a candy purple color that sprays on and bakes chrome, once clear powder is apllied to turns into a candy purple. On things that will take alot of abuse aka wheels that will have tires mounted and dismounted etc, I usually add a coat of clear to them, I mean if you pull the parts out the oven hot and lay on the clear coat hot then back in the oven its not that much extra of a process. Anything else lemme know, I worked in a powdercoating shop for 3 years

Comment

Working...
                X