Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powdercoating GS Wheels

Hi!
    I have a set of tubeless GS wheels that I want to get powder coated and am wondering if the portion under the tire should be masked off by the painter.
    Does it matter if the whole wheel is powder coated? It will be black wrinkled paint ... and am wondering if that could make the tire leak.
    Any insight would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
    2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
    1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
    2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
    s)

Waste of money in my opinion.

I wouldnt coat the inner lip if it were me.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I had mine powdercoated last year--he shot a light coat on the inside including the edge--no extra charge--been working fine for a year

Comment

If you are going to get wheels powder coated you will need to remove the tyres discs & bearings as powder coat needs to be baked in an oven disc bolt holes & bearing holes will need to be masked off

For painting rather than powder coat you can just remove the discs & mask off everything else but you may not get a perfect finish where the tyre meets the rim

Comment

Just did my 82 Kat wheels, never thought about the tire seating surface.
          I'm running tubes in mine though so I shouldn't have any problems with air leakage through the wheel itself.
          Well worth the money, in my opinion. I should never have to polish again....

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
            Waste of money in my opinion.

I wouldnt coat the inner lip if it were me.
            I thought that it might be less expensive if he didn't need to mask that portion off.
            I will ask him.
            s)

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
              Just did my 82 Kat wheels, never thought about the tire seating surface.
              I'm running tubes in mine though so I shouldn't have any problems with air leakage through the wheel itself.
              Well worth the money, in my opinion. I should never have to polish again....
              These are tubeless ... therefore a different situation.
              I'll ask on the Valkyrie forum because some fellow riders there have done this.
              Thanks!
              s)

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                If you are going to get wheels powder coated you will need to remove the tyres discs & bearings as powder coat needs to be baked in an oven disc bolt holes & bearing holes will need to be masked off
                I agree Tony. I will handle the bearings, etc., and the powder coater will do the masking, etc.

For painting rather than powder coat you can just remove the discs & mask off everything else but you may not get a perfect finish where the tyre meets the rim
                Painting is out of the question for me because I do not have a paint room (to avoid dust on the bikes, parts, etc.
                I'll try the powder coater ... and hope that I will not need a second mortgage LOL!
                Thanks!
                s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                  These are tubeless ... therefore a different situation.
                  I'll ask on the Valkyrie forum because some fellow riders there have done this.
                  Thanks!
                  any decent powdercoater will know what surfaces to coat without asking. i had my wheels done and he did the entire wheel, including the inside of the rim.
                  saying that a decent tire fitter will know that they just need to rough up the inner rim that the bead forms a seal and with a bit of lubricant to help seal it you will have no problems
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                    I agree Tony. I will handle the bearings, etc., and the powder coater will do the masking, etc.

Painting is out of the question for me because I do not have a paint room (to avoid dust on the bikes, parts, etc.
                    I'll try the powder coater ... and hope that I will not need a second mortgage LOL!
                    Thanks!
                    not sure about your area but my local powder coater charged me £30 a wheel including bead blasting, masking, coating and polishing
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      any decent powdercoater will know what surfaces to coat without asking. i had my wheels done and he did the entire wheel, including the inside of the rim.
                      Good news!

saying that a decent tire fitter will know that they just need to rough up the inner rim that the bead forms a seal and with a bit of lubricant to help seal it you will have no problems
                      The tire fitter is sitting behind my keyboard! Thanks for the info! It will be helpful with these!
                      s)

Comment

What I am having trouble understanding is why would you want a wrinkle finish on your wheels? Aren't wheels enough of a pain in the ass to clean without having to scrub the brake dust from the wrinkles in the finish?

Comment

Originally posted by Ogri View Post
                          What I am having trouble understanding is why would you want a wrinkle finish on your wheels? Aren't wheels enough of a pain in the ass to clean without having to scrub the brake dust from the wrinkles in the finish?
                          I have seen some and thought that they were really nice. However I have changed my mind a few days ago and will be going for "regular" powder coat on the wheels (not wrinkle).
                          s)

Comment

Working...
                          X