New Baby Cooley Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AirCooledFour View Post
    Here is the fairing. By the way, this was a rattle can job from primer to color. I used a high build primer/sealer, 400 grit sanding between coats, then Duplicolor "Bright White" and "Bahama Blue" (both truck, van, Suv colors from Pep Boys) then a high quality urethane clear with an HVLP paint gun on a friends driveway. The black stripes are 1/4 inch pinstripe tape. Hours of tedious taping resulted in a fairly decent job
    Looks awesome!!!!

I gotaa ask, why would ya use rattle can for the color when ya have access to a spray gun?
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

looks fantastic!!!!

do i see a 1978 yamaha rd400 in the background? I had two of those, never should have sold them.

Comment

Easy

Thanks, well, I wanted this to be on a budget, and as little fuss as possible. I used a rattle can primer and color because most people know that its more about prep, patience and careful wet sanding. For only $7 a can (three cans, 2x white, 1x blue) I think no explanation needed. The clear was a high quality urethane that cost $45 / quart. I used a medium hardener and a friend sprayed it with a high quality gun with dry filtered air. Of course, wet sanding the color with 1000 grit was essential. The net result is a finish that you could not tell either way if it came out of a gun or can, will last just as long as any other finish, and its cool!

Originally posted by Octain View Post
        Looks awesome!!!!

I gotaa ask, why would ya use rattle can for the color when ya have access to a spray gun?

Comment

Thanks, well, I wanted this to be on a budget, and as little fuss as possible. I used a rattle can primer and color because most people know that its more about prep, patience and careful wet sanding. For only $7 a can (three cans, 2x white, 1x blue) I think no explanation needed. The clear was a high quality urethane that cost $45 / quart. I used a medium hardener and a friend sprayed it with a high quality gun with dry filtered air. Of course, wet sanding the color with 1000 grit was essential. The net result is a finish that you could not tell either way if it came out of a gun or can, will last just as long as any other finish, and its cool!
          Something I've done when a paint job on a budget is in demand.

Turn the rattle can upside down and release all the pressure using the nozzle. Open the can(with no pressure) and use the paint in a gun of your choice. The paint tends to be a bit thinner but if coated lightly it works.
          I've done lots of older chevy rally rims with this little cheat.
          Works like a charm and cheap as heck.
          I've even done clear with great results.

Just a little tidbit.

Your bike looks awesome!!
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Wow! What a great-looking bike, you've really created something very special - great job!!

I've been a huge fan of Wes Cooley since way back in the day, any tribute ("GS750 baby" or "GS1000 clone") is fine with me. Heck, this makes me think Suzuki should have made 'em that way from the beginning. Now you need to find an Arai Signet Wes Cooley replica helmet to match the bike... or you could turn those rattle cans loose again and make one of your own :-)

Comment

Sweet looking job! Patience and prep always seem to reward. No matter what you use. Have you seen some of the paint jobs people have done on cars and such with rustoleum and rollers ?
              Looks great!
              Cheers, Erick

Comment

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...

Originally posted by Zweihammer View Post
                Sweet looking job! Patience and prep always seem to reward. No matter what you use. Have you seen some of the paint jobs people have done on cars and such with rustoleum and rollers ?
                Looks great!
                Cheers, Erick
                We used to call that the $1.49 paint job since that's what the roller cost.

There were a few guys in the same shop complex who only did paint this way. Surprisingly enough, they never had any repeat customers.

To be fair though, they weren't exactly what I would call "detail oriented" to begin with.

Comment

"S" sticker

So now I'm looking for a source for that red over black "S" sticker found on the ducktail of a 'cooley. Having the ppt or similar file so I can scale it down and order it is preferred. Anybody know a source besides reproductiongraphics (as they won't do individual decals)...

Comment

Beautiful work! Where did you get your fairing?????

Comment

Thanks!

Its an ebay find, EMGO fairing. Used condition. I think I paid $40 for it. You can get them new for $60 plus or minus $ I think. They don't offer a clear windscreen anymore (as far as I can tell) which sucks because the 'Cooley bikes had clear and thats what I wanted.

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                      Beautiful work! Where did you get your fairing?????

Comment

Its an ebay find, EMGO fairing. Used condition. I think I paid $40 for it. You can get them new for $60 plus or minus $ I think. They don't offer a clear windscreen anymore (as far as I can tell) which sucks because the 'Cooley bikes had clear and thats what I wanted.
                        Thanks...it looks similar to a fairing made by the Maier Co. I'll have to research EMGO and see if I can locate. Really nice work on your 750.

Comment

So now I'm looking for a source for that red over black "S" sticker found on the ducktail of a 'cooley. Having the ppt or similar file so I can scale it down and order it is preferred. Anybody know a source besides reproductiongraphics (as they won't do individual decals)...
                          When I redid my bike, I just went to a local sign shop, told them what I wanted, and they printed them up ans I was out in less than an hour, have you tried anything like that?

Comment

Looks amazing brother. And gives hope for all us poor asses who are about to attempt rattle canning!

Any chance you took some shots of your prep work?

Comment

Some

I have some shots of the stuff in primer but thats it.
                              I sanded/scuffed the existing paint, sanded the side covers and fairing with 400 grit and just made sure everything was smooth. Then applied 3 coats of a high build primer out of a can then sanded again with 400 grit. I repeated twice. Then sprayed my base color white out of a can, did about 4 coats. Wet sanded (carefully) with 1000 grit then applied all tape and masking for the blue color and black pinstripe tape. Then after I sprayed the blue from the can I immediately did the clear out of a gun (urethane). About 4 coats, the last being the heaviest. Doesn't need a final wet sanding as far as I can tell but I may do that once and lay some more clear once I can get a red over black S sticker for the ducktail.

Originally posted by maro View Post
                              Looks amazing brother. And gives hope for all us poor asses who are about to attempt rattle canning!

Any chance you took some shots of your prep work?

Comment

Working...
                              X