Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I restore switch covers?

You know the plastic switch housing?
    The left one has the turn signals and high beam, and the right one has the run switch and starter button.

Mine are both weather worn and faded so the black parts look rough.
    I can easily paint them but them I lose the white letters "RUN" "OFF" etc and the arrow diagram for the turn signals.

Replacements are $85 and $95 for a left and a right. That's a little too high not to try and restore before replacing.

Anyone have a suggestion?

I found some cheap ones on EBAY. They aren't perfect but they are in way better shape than my old ones.

Comment

I've cleaned up a few of these and it's pretty easy (though boring and time consuming if you want a good finish). I use Solvol Autosol (the aluminium polish) to remove all the discolouration - just take your time and rub evenly. Don't be tempted to mechanise (ie use a drill mop) even at low speeds - you'll melt the thing (been there, done that...). Once the discolouration has gone it's rub, rub, rub with silicon vinyl restorer - eg ArmorAll. They come up better than new.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

After a good cleaning with soapy water(not solvents, not citric cleaners) use Back to Black by Mothers(there is another brand too) It works great

Comment

I replaced my '82 switches with 2nd gen GSXR's. The lettering is in great shape, the wiring is the same as a GS, and I was able to convert to push-to-cancel turn signals.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ View Post
            I replaced my '82 switches with 2nd gen GSXR's. The lettering is in great shape, the wiring is the same as a GS, and I was able to convert to push-to-cancel turn signals.
            Awesome. That's what I'm going to look into. If all else fails I can always revert back to cleaning these up.

I'm a restomod kinda guy so this is right up my alley.

Thanks RJ.

Comment

I've had great success with using a little cupran hand cleaner on a damp cloth to clean the build-up off, followed by some orange pledge to make them shiny.

Works well, but that's just stuff I've had on hand, I personally wouldn't likely bother to buy new products I would only use twice just for something like this.

Whichever way you go, you know we expect pics, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post

Whichever way you go, you know we expect pics, right?
                But of course! I wasted the last 30 minutes on ebay looking for late model switches. It looks like the 97-98 has the right controls, plus a control mounted choke lever.

Still debating what to do...

Comment

Does anybody make chrome replacements for our bikes?

Comment

Originally posted by captainswitchblade View Post
                    Does anybody make chrome replacements for our bikes?
                    The only direct fit pieces I have found so far are standard replacements and they are pricey!

I'm sure you could get some generic chrome ones and make them work but it would be a lot more work.

Comment

I would think that just about any Jap right and left handlebar switches could be made to work without too much trouble. I bet you could find some late model Yamaha or Kawasaki switches that would work just fine. They all have the same functions with the same number of wires.

Comment

Working...
                      X