paint question **HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paint question **HELP!!

so I'm priming all my body pieces-fender, side covers, and tank, and each has body filler. I've primed each piece and the bondo is still noticeable through the primer. I wetsanded (with 1000 grit) my fender and the bondo is a little less noticeable but still showing through!

see the dimple directly above the light reflection.

I'm going to reprime it since I sanded to metal at some edge. should the primer coat be totally perfect (after wetsanding) before moving on to the color coat? Or am I ok so far, add a few more layers of primer and get away with the minor imperfections in the color coat stage?

The minor imperfections depend on what type of paint you are using. For example, black can hide some issues but silver or metallic colors can highlight and chrome paint is another story. However, a great paint job will always start with a good base which is the body work then primer.

Are the dimples from the primer or the bondo? If it is in the bondo itself, scuff it up and add more then sand again. And sand smooth.

What primer are you using? Either way lay it on thick and 'wet' but try to avoid runs. Do 2-3 coats.

Then you can use a same brand of primer in a different color and lay down stripes (yes stripes) about 2 inches a part. Just a little. In other words, not heavy but very dry. You should ended up with a part that looks like a zebra with over spray in between.

This is the guide coat that you can use to show high and low spots as you sand. And when you sand follow through to the other side and then cross sand.

here is a good link about what I was talking about.

I hope this is what you were looking for

Comment

the dimples are from bondo. I was a dumbass and didn't block sand them (or smoothly enough *arrgh), looks like I'll need to start again.

Question: do I have to sand down to bare metal/plastic to the old bondo and surrounding area? Can I also just prime this new bondo to blend into the rest of the primed fender?

I was also spraying way too light (less than one can of primer for both sidecovers and fender). I'm priming the tank right now and doing it properly with heavier coats than before. This is definitely blending the bodywork now. That's relieving since I'm on a time crunch to get painting done before Saturday (spring break ending, heading back to school where I can't work on the bike)

I'm painting my bodywork flat black and have looked into doing the guide coat technique but I don't have an off color primer/time for this step. Just hoping for decent bodywork is all!
      Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2010, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Your best bet is to sand back down to the bondo and scuff with 60 or 80 grit and then lay the bondo on top of that. It the fender is plasitc be careful with the 80 grit. It will scratch plastic to much for most can primer. If it metal, you are all good.

You may get away with laying the bondo on top of the primer but I personally would not trust it. Then prime it again.

Comment

thanks a lot ukilme, this really helps! clock's ticking, hope to get this all done before Sunday!

Comment

I have found that the trick to getting a good finish with bondo is to use a little glazing putty as the last step.

Comment

The bondo needs to be applied in a much larger area than just the area needing repair. That way when you sand it, it becomes less noticeable and is easier to blend in. I learned this doing drywall patching. My patches are virtually invisible when finished.
              Also, make sure the bondo is completely dry before you prime. Because Bondo is a different density than metal it sometimes soaks up some primer if its not completely dry.
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                The bondo needs to be applied in a much larger area than just the area needing repair. That way when you sand it, it becomes less noticeable and is easier to blend in. I learned this doing drywall patching. My patches are virtually invisible when finished.
                Also, make sure the bondo is completely dry before you prime. Because Bondo is a different density than metal it sometimes soaks up some primer if its not completely dry.
                It can also sink in or shrink.

Comment

Working...
                X