1100E tank/sides onto a 1100G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E tank/sides onto a 1100G?

I really like the looks of the 1100E tank and side covers the way they flow into each other. Does the tank and covers fit onto G/GL frames?

Close, but not quite the same. Maybe it could be made to fit, if you are skilled enough.

I had a 1100g tank on a 1000E I bought, the back of it was up about three inches too high. Just not shaped right underneath to clear the frame, and they bolt down in back differently too. Pretty sure the G tank holds an extra gallon or so.
    The 1100E tank does fit on the 1000E nicely, that may give you something to go on.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The side covers on the 1100G and the 1100E arent compatable... they work completely different in their connection points..

Comment

That sounds like a fabrication challenge then....

Comment

Any luck 5 years later? I'm trying to go the other way...I would like to put a more conventional GS tank on a 1982 gs1100e. Has anyone ever had any luck with that?

Thanks, Nate

Comment

I have a GS1100E from 1981, and a GS1100G from 1982. This may not help you much but the two are totally different. The E mounts with one center bolt set in horizontally and the G uses two that go down into a flange vertically. It would take some fabrication to make them fit. (Of course, that's two different years, but I think the E vs G incompatibility will hold)

Comment

Thanks Larry, I've been talking with guy who has that 82 1100 and also a 77 750. They're both cool bikes but I like the idea of eventually throwing a wide tire on an 1100 and maybe some newer forks down the road, but I don't really care for the contour tank as much.

Comment

Larry, I posted a couple other threads in hopes to get solid idea regarding the subject. The 82 E, has 2 bolts holding the back as does most any G or L model of the surrounding years. I think the big question is if the bumpers are the right width and if the tank is able to straddle the wide frame that I know the 82E to have for sure. By photos of tanks online they look like they could intechange without too much effort.

Comment

Working...
                X