Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post GSXR conversion: light bracket woes

Hey everyone,
    So I finally got back to my bike after the Winter and had planned on replacing the headlight brackets on my GSXR forks which were cheap Ebay items that hit the tank before the hitting steering stops. Anyway, I thought these would work:

But the big block of plastic in the back now hits the tank even at the highest point. I only have about 4-5mm of space between fork and tank when the GSXR stops hit the frame. I don't feel like removing the front end to weld more meat to the stops. Any clever ideas on how to mount my headlight?

Here's the bike:

Depending on how accessible the stops are, you could drill and tap them and just add a little metal block onto them that way. It will keep the arms off the tank.

Comment

If that doesn't work, you could measure the diameter of the fork tubes and go shopping at the local metal shop. Buy some aluminum tubing of a diameter just large enough to slip over the fork, and have some tabs (arms) welded onto it.

Comment

I modified the stock ears by cutting and welding in a section. It is easier on the 41mm stanchions, but I also did it for 50/52mm USD forks as well. It can be a pain unless you are a talented metal worker.

See pic at the link below for an idea; these should be thin enough but you would still have to take the headlamp and upper triple off.

BTW: bike looks good; how does it ride?

Comment

Thanks fellas. I might be able to drill and tap the stops. Will check today. Pos:
          is there any chance you've got a spare set I could pay you to weld up for me? I'm pretty sure I sold you my set last Summer! Doh! Anyway, even if not, do you think you could throw up a pic of a modified set so I can show my welder? I think this might be the way to go. Pulling the top triple off is not too big a deal.

The bike rides great but as I've only put about 50 miles on it, I'm still taking it really easy as I test and tune. The brakes are unbelievable and the bike just feels much more tossable. I'm quite happy. I did go with a 5/8" offset front sprocket but I think I might still have to go with 1/2" and a slightly different spacer setup in the rear. One more wheel alignment with an 8' straight edge should confirm this. Take care,

J

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
            Thanks fellas. I might be able to drill and tap the stops. Will check today. Pos:
            is there any chance you've got a spare set I could pay you to weld up for me? I'm pretty sure I sold you my set last Summer! Doh! Anyway, even if not, do you think you could throw up a pic of a modified set so I can show my welder? I think this might be the way to go. Pulling the top triple off is not too big a deal.

The bike rides great but as I've only put about 50 miles on it, I'm still taking it really easy as I test and tune. The brakes are unbelievable and the bike just feels much more tossable. I'm quite happy. I did go with a 5/8" offset front sprocket but I think I might still have to go with 1/2" and a slightly different spacer setup in the rear. One more wheel alignment with an 8' straight edge should confirm this. Take care,

J
            The only pic I have is what I showed before; you want to measure the OD of the rubber grommet when installed and make the ring ID that size. It will depend on your fork OD size. It is tedius work but an be done.

I think my other set of ears are bent somewhat which is why I needed yours. You will also need a donor set of ears for the segments to fit inside of the rubber parts smartly.

My welder is crappy so I do alot of grinding afterwords. For some one that is an accomplished welder it should not be nearly as bad.

After riding with radial tires and improved brakes it is hard to go back to the old. If you run across a set of extra length shocks that helps as well. Adding 1" from 13" to 14" puts more weight on the front and seems to keep it planted better.

Looks like you have the big tube underbelly Yoshi race pipe. Are you having any clearance issues? I would guess you still watch speed bumps of how you enter driveways, but the turns have no clearance issues.
            Last edited by posplayr; 04-08-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks again. I ended up drilling the stops and adding a 5mm socket cap bolt and now there's plenty of tank clearance. I'm still going to have to grind a bit off the bolts to get just a bit more of a steering angle though. For now my light brackets will suffice.

I have about 4" of clearance under the exhaust! Not a lot and now I really wish I went in the 14" shocks but someone told me it would mess up the handling. I'm going to see about a longer set of Ikons and maybe sell mine. What's funny is the exhaust hasn't hit anything (I'm very relieved cuz it's mint) but I scraped my case guard really easily the other day. It was a bit freaky because it didn't feel like I was over far at all. Have you scraped yours easily Pos? There are a lot of clearance related issues when it comes to these conversions!

Comment

look at the gsg headlight bracket from streetfighters inc it is what i used and looks great it can be made for any fork tube size you can see a pic of mine here

Comment

Those look so damn sweet I think I just might pony up for them! Did you get the long or short version?

J

Comment

Originally posted by ironsheik View Post
                    Those look so damn sweet I think I just might pony up for them! Did you get the long or short version?

J
                    I ended up going with the short models which are 125mm from the center of the fork tube to the center of the headlight bolt,mine were ordered 50mm top and bottom and are very well made little pricey but the best looking things i could find by far. if you ask they will send you a detailed drawing

Comment

Working...
                    X