Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ehhh I guess this is appearance related... Need some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not drill two holes in it & bolt a puck to the bottom of it? Or a two piece that you clamp on.. that's what all the BMW etc riders do.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

my old Honda had a leaning problem on the side stand... I fixed it by heating up the side stand mounting tab with a torch and bending it down a bit... That bike didn't sit that much higher than stock though. Not sure how stable doing that would be if you raised the bike up over an inch and a half, but I figured I'd throw the idea out there.

Comment

I like the "temporary" fix using a shim (hockey puck & the like) - that way you can put the OEM shocks back on if you like without having to re-think the kickstand issue again...
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

What about finding another OEM kick stand from a different model? I'm sure there are some longer, some shorter for different bikes, maybe an older enduro?

Comment

Originally posted by madbikebreaker View Post
            What about finding another OEM kick stand from a different model? I'm sure there are some longer, some shorter for different bikes, maybe an older enduro?
            I think the 1100E stands were about the longest made for a GS. They have that big curve in em too. Plus, another model may present problems in the hinge arrangement... May have to have one built from bar stock from scratch... But I DO like Ed's idea of just adding a thicker "foot' to the stand..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              I think the 1100E stands were about the longest made for a GS. They have that big curve in em too. Plus, another model may present problems in the hinge arrangement... May have to have one built from bar stock from scratch... But I DO like Ed's idea of just adding a thicker "foot' to the stand..
              Decades ago there were two XS1100's in my family that had pads welded onto the side stand so they wouldn't sink into blacktop. It worked well, but it might look a bit odd.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Could you attach a 1/2" piece of rubber ( tire tread) to the underside of the stand foot, with screws or bolts?

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                X