Paint versus humidity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint versus humidity.

So after giving myself a swift kick in the ass, I buckled down over the weekend and finished off all of the mechanicals on the kat project. I just have to finish clearcoating the bodywork.

The problem now is that the weather is not co-operating. Its fine and sunny today shooting for around 70F but humidity is supposed to get to 70%.

I have always understood that anything more than 40% may cause problems.

While I'm anxious to get this done, I don't want to pooch this so am holding off for awhile (maybe a long while as they say it will be high humidity for the next week or more). What I was wondering is if any of the paint gurus could shed more light on this subject for me.

Cheers,
    Spyug

I am not a paint guru. But I would wait until the humidity goes down. Since, I clear in my basement work shop (only on helmets and with venting) or in the garage, I never clear when it is raining or humid. Today sucks for clearing w/o a real paint booth.

I have run a dehumidifier in the past and run a heater to get the temperature up without to many issues.

Tuesday or Wednesday looks good for you according to the weather network.

Comment

Hey Spyug!

The humidity isn't so much the problem, it's the fact that the humidity will inhibit the solvent from evaporating out of the product, which can lead to many other problems.

If you can take the time to wait, I would. Either wait, or seal up a room with a dehumidifier for a few hours to dry the air out before painting, but then it must be vented for fumes,etc, so you would be drawing in damp air anyways. Also, the likelyhood of moisture making it past the moisture traps in your airline greatly increases on humid days too.

So, I would set the paint aside for a few days, and work on something else for a bit if you can.

Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
        Hey Spyug!

The humidity isn't so much the problem, it's the fact that the humidity will inhibit the solvent from evaporating out of the product, which can lead to many other problems.

If you can take the time to wait, I would. Either wait, or seal up a room with a dehumidifier for a few hours to dry the air out before painting, but then it must be vented for fumes,etc, so you would be drawing in damp air anyways. Also, the likelyhood of moisture making it past the moisture traps in your airline greatly increases on humid days too.

So, I would set the paint aside for a few days, and work on something else for a bit if you can.

Best of luck!
        I agree. 100%
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Working...
        X