Seat cover installation advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat cover installation advice

I received my seat covers from B&H, and I am not quite sure how to proceed from there. The material and workmanship look all right, and the pattern is very close the original, but it is not formed like the original. This is a '79 GS1000E seat that is stepped. They suggest gluing the cover to the step, but the way the cover is made, it looks to me that I will have to glue the entire top cover matching the rolled seam to the impressions in the foam (they are almost an exact match) and then stretch the skirt to the seat pan after the glue has dried. I don't see how it will ever lay in correctly on the foam without doing it this way. My question is, what type of adhesive to use? I could not find the Claire weatherstripping adhesive they recommend.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

I just posted this and have a B&H cover for sale.

Comment

It looks like what I thought I would have to do. The stock seat was wrapped in plastic and not glued. What is the best spray adhesive for bonding the fabric to the foam?
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Make sure it's warm when you stretch it... put a hairdryer on the bits where you really need to pull it to help it stretch without tearing.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I glued the cover to match the top seat pattern, and used a heat gun to stretch the sides. It looks pretty good. The '79 seat is a lot more comfortable than the '78 seat and is just high enough to take the pressure off my knees where it was causing circulation problems. Next time, I'm going to let the guys that do this every day for a living do the next set. Then, "pretty good" will become just right. For a budget job, though, these covers are not half bad.

Comment

Working...
          X