Need some ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some ideas...

My stock headlight bucket on my 78 750E is cracked.... and from the looks of it... this past time I glued it, seems to be the second time its been repaired. It is not a disaster or life ending. I'm just afraid that one day it will break... and I'll be SOL.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for a replacement? I'd prefer metal if possible. Any idea would be welcome. Thanks!

You can "weld" the plastic with a soldering iron, do it from the inside and it looks OK, it can be pretty strong too.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can try a product called "plastic welder"--it's made by Devcon--part# s-220 22045 available at most hardware stores--4 minutes working time--handle in 15 minutes--fully cured in 24 hours--3500 psi strength--I've used it on several occasions with great success--makes a watertight seal--should be just what you need!

Comment

I think I'll lightly solder it then "weld" it... can't be too much... lol

Comment

would MEK work for that type of plastic?

Comment

The baking soda/crazy glue trick provides a solid support for a crack too.

Comment

The anti-static dryer sheets as they come out of the dryer are very strong, can be used like fiberglass.
              It's much easier to handle, and lasts forever as far as I know.
              You can use epoxy, cyanoacrylate glue or maybe that ABS pipe cement would work well on these covers, I think they are an ABS like material.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The only thing I'm worried about now, is the area where the ring and everything else gets fastened to, the screw holes, 2 of the 3 are held there with washers because they are cracked.

Comment

I like the top listing, except for the 6" glass, when I just ordered a new 7" Bosch glass that allows bulb changeability. I guess if all else fails, I'll look at that top listing, or the second depending on the size. Thanks for searching, as I don't know the exact mounting dimensions of the bucket.

On a side note, how does that baking soda and super glue work?
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-06-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brent1084 View Post
                    I like the top listing, except for the 6" glass, when I just ordered a new 7" Bosch glass that allows bulb changeability. I guess if all else fails, I'll look at that top listing, or the second depending on the size. Thanks for searching, as I don't know the exact mounting dimensions of the bucket.

On a side note, how does that baking soda and super glue work?
                    There are lots of 7" buckets on eBay. Take a look.

Baking soda and superglue works just how it sounds. Pour baking soda all over the glued crack, then drip the superglue on the baking soda. You can build it up as large as you want for support. I used this method to repair a couple of broken posts on some side covers, and it's by far the strongest repair I've attempted.

Comment

So... just use the baking soda as a "filler" in the crack and then drip the glue on and let it soak in and create the bond.... i think I got it...

Comment

Originally posted by brent1084 View Post
                        So... just use the baking soda as a "filler" in the crack and then drip the glue on and let it soak in and create the bond.... i think I got it...
                        Yup. Fun stuff. Test it out.

Comment

Working...
                        X