Restoring gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring gauges

Anyone have info on restoring the stock gauges? Had to take apart the 1150 cluster to remove some dead flies and replace some bulbs that blew at last years' drag fiasco. There's some dust in there and the glass is cloudy. Just don't to do anything that'll mar the plastic or gauge face.

I actually took mine apart and cleaned the glass..it was pretty dirty on the inside..also lubed the mechanisms inside as both the tach and speedo were hanging up..they look great and work perfect now..also repainted the needle ends red...I used a screwdriver to bend back the bezel on the back side and carefully bent them back to re-assemble..I think it was Nessim I saw had a post where he did it thats where I saw how it was done.

DDM

Comment

Luckily, the 1150 doesn't require anything special to get in the gauges. Just a couple of screws ...

What about cleaning the gauge face itself? I just don't want to mar it.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
        Luckily, the 1150 doesn't require anything special to get in the gauges. Just a couple of screws ...

What about cleaning the gauge face itself? I just don't want to mar it.

I just used a soft cloth with windex..I plan on getting new gauge faces when Rudy is ready to make them up for people..just be careful when you lube the mechanism..my tach I put back together only to see 2 drops on machine oil on the glass after I re-assembled them so had to pull that one back apart.

Comment

How does one remove the tripmeter knob on 1980 gs850 gauges. I can't see a screw, but is a press fit? Thanks Ted

Comment

When I rebuilt my guages I used S100 on the face, and it cleaned up nice, although not sure on how it will do in the sunlight. Should be fine. On the glass/plastic I ended up going with a piece of lexan cut to fit. Had to rebuild the fuel and temp needles also.

E

Comment

Which S100 was that?

How did you apply it? Safe to go right over the numbers and the like?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                Which S100 was that?

How did you apply it? Safe to go right over the numbers and the like?
                S100 Engine Brightener.

I sprayed it sparingly barely depressing the button then wiped the guage face down. It didn't change the numbers. I was afraid it might and tried it in a small spot first with a q-tip, but it didn't seem to harm them. It didn't take much. The black on the guage face was pretty faded/chalky looking. I didn't get a before pic on the guages, but I used it on the faded rear fender plastics as well.

Here is a before faded plastic part that backs the trunk and tail light.

Then after.

E

Comment

Wonderful! I already have a fresh can in the garage.

Comment

Hi,

Check out the work that Mr. Rudy has been doing in THIS THREAD. His new gauge faces look great.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Does look gorgeous, although the 1150 gauges have that big trapezoid cluster.

Comment

Working...
                      X