Side cover, cover up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side cover, cover up!

OK, getting close to color, final coat of primer on the tank, cleaned up nicely, gave the side covers to JR to sand smooth.. Did I give those covers to JR? Oh no! I did give them to JR and without specific instructions!

Of course to save time and sand paper he slopped paint remover on one of them!!!!!! Realizing his mistake, tried to scrape it off with a dull putty knife!!!! I have to figure out what to do now, I am leaning towards a colored bed liner material, give them both a textured look. Tried to wet sand the bumps and scrapes down with 220#, no luck.. Even thinking of a ABS coating over it all? Any ideas?? Darn plastic... $50+ for a new one...

I'd sand then a coat of bondo and smooth,but I like original.

Comment

Don't know..

Don't know if or how long bondo would stay?

Comment

Bondo

+1 on the bondo. since only one side is damaged (i think from your description at least) you have the other side to compare your work against and so It shouldnt be too hard to make the damaged one look nice and smooth.

Comment

bondo will crack when u take the cover off becuse they flex to much ill get the name of this platic type of bondo i use on car bumpers really flexable stuff its a 2 part stuff ill get it tomorrow its at my parents house

Comment

ok its made by lord fuzor its 114 plastic finishing adhesive works extremly well highly recomend also if u do this buy the adhesion promotor also its recomended hope this helps

Comment

fusor or plastic weld just use it as body filler smooth and paint it should work and be flexible enough not to crack under stress

Comment

Ok

OK, I'll try to find some today..

Comment

Found the stuff..

Found the stuff, its forty bucks a bottle.... I think a coat of bed coating would be cheaper and easier...

Comment

Originally posted by Ponderosa View Post
                    Found the stuff, its forty bucks a bottle.... I think a coat of bed coating would be cheaper and easier...
                    Ask JR to cover half the cost...
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

JRs bike!

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                      Ask JR to cover half the cost...
                      He has twenty five cents... And its his bike I am working on! Can anyone remind me why I started this project? LOL I am hoping he can afford to buy a battery and register the bike in a few weeks... I know I will never see what I have in this bike...

Comment

why pay for something close to the cost of a replacement? get the $%^& who did it to cover the cost, or at least part of it, and get a new one... job done and you don't have to redo it again when all the filler falls out?

.... and the time it'll take to make it good?

Comment

No room...

My shop is full, it is time for spring tune ups and all I want to do is finish this project. I have to remind myself this bike is 20+ years old and not a classic breed. The side covers look pretty good in their spray on bedliner, a few accents and they will pass. JR will be lucky to be able to raise the registration fee and cost of new battery..

Still have to sort through the wiring, final paint on tank, tune, and final oil change. Then we can count our losses.... I am going back to my late model salvage, no more of this insanity... Hard on the bank book...

Comment

Working...
                          X