Gas tank badge bracket removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank badge bracket removal?

Has any one done anything with the tank badge bracket, remove it, weld over it, anything????

I was thinking about leaving the tank bare metal and just clear coating it but the darn badge bracket looks like crap.

Any ideas??

Getting it gone.

I shaved the badge bracket on my tank. I have found it best to make sure there is no rust in behind the bracket, then fill the depression with your filler of choice. I used two part fiberglass fill, others use bondo. I reccommend the fiberglass since it is non-porous when cured, whereas, the bondo is porous, and will absorb water if not sealed properly.

One tip, grab a hammer and a drift and "lightly" tap the bracket in so that none of it will be above the level of the tank. You should not have any of it poking through the filler when you block sand the area smooth, otherwise you will have to dig out the filler and do it again.

Grab your body supplies and get at it, and of course, we would love to see pics!

Comment

I would say to do a search; it wil show up

Comment

Possibly a really talented welder could put a piece from a similar tank in place of that section of your tank? I would warp the heck out of it if I welded it.
        Then it it was ground carefully enough it might not be visible.

If it were me, I'd just fill it and put a paint stripe or something there.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'd recommend taking the mounting tab off and filling. My friend who did mine says he's tried doing tanks in the past without taking the tab off and it looks good for a year or two, but eventually it starts to show through the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by cavehamster View Post
            I'd recommend taking the mounting tab off and filling. My friend who did mine says he's tried doing tanks in the past without taking the tab off and it looks good for a year or two, but eventually it starts to show through the paint.
            I need to do this as well but am a little nervous. Did he just take an angle grinder and grind the welds down until it came out? Or...?
            Thanks,
            Theo

Comment

i used a dremmel to get the bracket below the surface and then used bodyfiller to smooth it out. did a few years ago and is still fine. it needs grinding or removing as it sits proud of the surface but i didn't fancy chisselling it out.

grind n fill i recon

Comment

Working...
              X