Gauge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge question

Hmmm.....another gauge question. First off, I don't know why its bugging me, but it seems like it can be an easy fix, and its on my mind...

Anyway, I got into my gauges today to address my tach malfunctions. I eliminated the sluggish needle (sticky grease) but have now run into the problem of incorrect readings. I've already had the valve cover gasket off, so I know there aren't any stripped gears in the output on the motor. The cable is new. The problem is that it doesn't register at idle, and then maybe at 3K it wakes up and reads about 2-3K too low, judging by the engine noise (I don't know what noises correspond to what engine speed, just guessing). Could it be that my pointers need adjusting? I tried to gently pry them off, but I didn't want to break anything so I chickened out. I really don't feel like spending $75+ for a new used tach, and I'd kinda like to have one to keep learning more about the bike.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be and any quick easy fixes?

Don't know your bike exactly, but when the valve cover goes back on take care to make sure the little worm gear in the cover meshes with the workings in the head.

That and verify the tach cable is engaged properly at both ends...

At least that's how it is with my bikes...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The '83 450 doesn't have the tach gear in the valve cover. I've had it off, and I can see the steel gear meshing well with the crankshaft. So I know its not a problem on that end. Cable is new and lubed. I'm pretty sure the gauge housing is not stripped.

An interesting note is that when I allow the pointer to go past the rubber stop, it unloads and stops at about 6:30-7:00 (normal resting is about 8:00). I'm wondering if the tach has been improperly re-assembled at some point, and is off by a few thou rpm? does that seem reasonable?

Comment

Working...
      X