Poor '78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor '78 GS1000

I've got a '78 GS1000 in excellent condition minus the skunk tank. Any insight as to what tanks will interchange with this bike? Obviously an original tank would be nice, but not at current pricing. I'm thinking a '79 L model if I can't find an E but not sure if the frames are the same on the backbone between the L and E.

Anybody know of an aftermarket cafe tank source that would fit presuming I can't get a stock Suzuki tank?

I doubt you will find one from another bike that will fit without modification. If you have sheet metal and welding skills you could fabricate your own tank. I'm not familiar with tank prices for your bike but if you could get one in decent shape for $200 that would be reasonable.

Heres one on ebay from a 78 GS 1000 for $30.

Take the tank to an auto body shop have them remove the dents and paint it. Should be able to get it done for about $150 or so.

Comment

He could if that was a 78GS1000 tank. That's from a 79-81 850/1000 shaft G model.. Not an E

Comment

So Lynn..the guy on ebay has it listed incorrectly?

I'm not familiar enough with the tanks to be able to tell the difference.

Comment

here's one but it's going to cost

Yes that last one was an L and it won't fit properly

Comment

The 78 tank is almost impossible to find in decent condition, as that Ebay ad shows

You can use a 79 or 80 1000 E tank, but they're not that easy to find either
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Dunno what your budget is but you can still get new tanks from Suzuki.

Comment

new tank!!!yuk

hi guys about 2 years ago i emailed and rang vintage suzuki and also my faverite suzuki dealer in box hill ,,, vintage suzuki quoted me $750 plus delivery and would not open box for petcock hole measurement and my faverite dealer quoted similar plus delivery if they could get 1,,vintage suzuki regulary have these tanks hope this helps regards david

Comment

If you want it original I would think about the skunk tank on ebay if you budget can afford iit. Looks like a us as is no paint needed tank which would save money in the long run. You have to remember having someone paint it will cost $200-300

Comment

What you will get from the Bandit is a NOS '80 tank (silver), and you will have to get the '80 petcock too. It's worth it. That tank on Ebay will sell for more than the new one, and the inside condition is a crap shoot, even though the gas cap opening looks great. My '78 tank is a long term project. In the mean time, I'll ride and not foul up my carbs with a rusty tank. Take a long look at the replacement stock numbers, I think the '80 tank is the only replacement available that will fit the '78, 79 and '80.
                    Last edited by OldVet66; 05-25-2010, 12:04 AM.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                    X