GS1000-What to do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000-What to do with it?

Hi everyone, I just bought a 1980 GS1000 so I decided to join you guys. It is my first GS, but I had a KZ a couple years ago. It is pretty much all original except for high compression pistons and a Vance and Hines 4 into 1 exhaust. I was wondering what kind of ideas anyone had to make this bike my own. I will be ordering drag bars sometime today or tomorrow, but i need a cool looking seat and a different/better looking turn signal setup. I don't care for the big old style turn signals, and the seat has a tear in it, so I would like to replace those two items. Also, I would like to get rid of the metal rear fender under the tail section. This is all just me trying to make the bike look a little more sporty, but keeping the GS look at the same time. I don't want to go nuts and change swing arms and forks and such. I just want updated turn signals, a seat, and possibly mirrors. Thanks a lot and I look forward to all of your ideas!

Hi, Welcome,post a pic to see what your starting with.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

This is the only picture I have right now. I haven't gotten it to my house yet so this was just taken when I went to look at it on my phone.

Comment

Looks to be an 1 980GS1000 E model not an L. Should have plastic rear fender.

Comment

Cafe that B!tch!

Na, just kidding. I wouldnt as long as its complete.
          If ya shop ebay, do some reading you'll get some pretty good ideas. Also check out the gallery.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Metal rear fender.. Souneds like an L to me but that is a E in your picture..

Sargent Cycle makes a nice seat cover kit for $60
            I had them make this one with the Carbon FX material.. It's an L but you get the idea..

I like the stock GS1000E tail.. I'd keep it, recover the seat and put on the smaller turn signals you want.. bar end mirrors and maybe rear sets if you want to get a more aggressive riding position.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2010, 04:58 PM.

Comment

It does have the plastic tail section. I meant that I wanted to eliminate the smaller fender underneath that so that the plastic fender is all that is visible with only the license plate underneath it. And I'm waiting to cafe a cb!! I can't do it to this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bsw423 View Post
                It does have the plastic tail section. I meant that I wanted to eliminate the smaller fender underneath that so that the plastic fender is all that is visible with only the license plate underneath it. And I'm waiting to cafe a cb!! I can't do it to this one.
                The only issue there is that tail shell bolts to the fender, not the frame and the fender is your license plate mount.

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                  Metal rear fender.. Souneds like an L to me but that is a E in your picture..

Sargent Cycle makes a nice seat cover kit for $60
                  I had them make this one with the Carbon FX material.. It's an L but you get the idea..

I like the stock GS1000E tail.. I'd keep it, recover the seat and put on the smaller turn signals you want.. bar end mirrors and maybe rear sets if you want to get a more aggressive riding position.
                  that seatcover was only 60 bucks? dang thats nice.

Comment

This is the only picture I have right now. I haven't gotten it to my house yet so this was just taken when I went to look at it on my phone.
                    dang, thats clean. nice buy

Comment

Originally posted by SKD View Post
                      that seatcover was only 60 bucks? dang thats nice.
                      Yup

Nice people to deal with too.. It's all made to order

Comment

Careful with the drag bars and tank clearance, a lot of people go with the Superbike bars instead. Those stock seats are valuable...if you plan on cutting down foam or other alterations it might be a good idea to get a donor seat instead.
                        I have always liked that blue '80 paint scheme.
                        Welcome aboard.
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

. And I'm waiting to cafe a cb!! I can't do it to this one.

I hear ya! I wouldnt either.

Its kinda nice having two of the same model though. Lots less to learn

Inner fenders are pretty easy and cheap to find. Just trim one to your liking with a drimal and keep the other incase ya dont like it.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Rear Fender

You can trim it. I did mine on my 850 and like the way it looks. I am at work right now will post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.
                            80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Well thanks for the welcoming everyone. I like the idea of just cutting down the rear fender for now. It's nice and easy. I'm pretty excited to get this bike to my house and start putting some mileage on it. I'd really like to buy a complete seat for it and save the original. Hopefully I can find one I like somewhere. As for the turn signals, do I just buy those universal ones that are smaller?

Comment

Working...
                              X