Engine paint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine paint...

The guy that had my bike before me painted the engine....Its starting to flake off a bit now here and there so whats the best thing to do?

Strip it all off, and re-paint it?
    What paint should I use?

Thanks

Engine paint

Several people I know have used B+Q barbeque paint with good results!

Comment

I've used plain old rattle-can Engine "hi-heat" paint on air-cooled motors. Works fine EXCEPT on the first 6 ~ 8 inches of exhaust pipes. Not high enough rated for that. I like black semi-gloss myself.

BBQ black rattle can paint (right from Home Depot) DOES work on the exhaust, but I've never found anything other than flat black, and it's just TOO flat for the rest of the motor.

As for chips and flakes, well, I guess YOU gotta decide what level you want to get into. Trying to touch up or a full strip and repaint. Or even just brush the loose stuff off and paint over it all...

Good luck, whichever way you go.

Kirk

Comment

The paint the last owner put on is silver...Im guessing bbq paint comes in black only?

Not sure if I should just try and remove it all and see how it looks. Though he must have painted it for a reason, might be a bit grubby underneath...

Comment

there are a few members who have doen stunning paint jobs but I think they used a specialty paint

I know that plain old engine enamel the celar anyway form duplicolour aint worth a damn it cracks and peels and it seems soluble in gas even after being fully cured

do a search on engine painting and you should see some nice trheads with pics

Comment

What is the year and model of the bike?
            Can you post a couple of pics, especially the problem areas?
            I used Rust-oleum 500 degree engine paint on mine. It is a black engine, but it comes in aluminum also. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=372
            You may consider something like media blasting it and leaving it in the natural aluminum colour.

Comment

Its an 82 gs750e....Pictures on my home page

Thanks

Comment

well study proves that painting an engine decreases the temp of the motor due to a higher surface area for the air that is running over it so i would suggest repainting but make sure you get all of the old paint of first...good luck

Comment

I bought a can of engine paint today, but it needs a good wire brushing and cleaning first. I will get around to it next week and let you know how things turn out!

Thanks!

Comment

Oh, its silver paint I bought.

Comment

Working...
                    X