Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bars....and not the ones you drink in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bars....and not the ones you drink in...

Bars.

Which are best? Ive seen Daytona bars mentioned on here, what are they? And would they really help the handling?

The bars on my bike, well I dont even know if they are original? Im guessing the grips are aftermarket anyway.....And the engine bars, and my rear rack....

Anyone shine some light on this for me please

Seanie

Slight changes in bar height make huge differences in handling.
    When you go too low, comfort goes away, at least for longer rides.

A two or three inch change can transform a bike, either way.

Each bike and each rider are different, you need to try a few.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

bars are a personal choice, what do you want? low straight drag bars, standard style bars,daytona style bars, super bike bars or high rise custom bars?
      its not a case of what is best it is what suits YOU the best. flick around all the pics on the site and see what you think will suit you best
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The Daytona is a particular bend of bar sold by BikeMaster. It is easy to find and quite popular.

Comment

bars

Is it comfort or handiling your after, or both. Rise,pullback,width. measure what is on your bike. then look up a set of, EX(euro 2"r,5"pb,29.5"w) If Handling is part of it. You can lower the front of your bike by sliding the forks through triple trees. longer rear shocks can also increase wieght transfer. if you read (Classsic Motorcycle mechanics issue #250.) did these two trciks to a ELR, 1000 with great results in comfort and handling.

Comment

Don't believe any of these guys--they're trying to get you to cheap out on your ride.

I have a set of the best handlebars in the world, certificate in hand...I'm not allowed to tell you what I paid for them, but I'd consider parting with them for no less than $1000 Euro.

Bear in mind they are THE BEST, ONE OF A KIND. Accept no substitutes.

And if you'll buy these, I have a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...

I'm just kidding, these fellows are spot-on. Either get your hands on a few different types of bars and try 'em, or try and ride (or at least sit on) friends/other people's bikes who have a different bar profile than yours and see whatcha like.

Comment

Most bars will have measurements listed - rise, width, rake, etc. You can start with the ones you have and visualize the differences. The best, but most expensive way, is to get several and install them.

And I'll beat wkmpt's price, I'll sell you mine for $2999 US. Truly a bargain.

Comment

Oh, and Seanie...

Be on the look out for others selling replicas or cheap Chinese knock-offs of the Perfect Handlebars. They are of inferior quality and you are taking your life into your own hands by even looking at them, let alone installing them.

There is only one Perfect handlebar. Accept no substitutes.

Comment

I've got daytonas on my 81 gs1100e... What I like about them is they're not too low,yet lower than the stock roto tiller type that were on when I got it. Very comfy, I could ride all day, Ive put 300-400 in a day no problem

Comment

Seanie,

I have "Superbike" bars on both of my bikes. I'm 5'10" tall and with these bars I have a slight lean forward as I ride. The pressure from the wind slightly lifts me from the bars to relieve fatique. They counter stear nice. The 650 came with a much higher bar and I felt like I was riding a prancing pony. It's a personal choice thing and the hard part is how do you test them with buying them? I have pictures of both GS's in my album. Although they may not be the best shots for looking at bars. Good luck.

Charlie G
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Here's an idea:

Remove your current bars. Put your bike on the centerstand. Sit on your bike, and try to put yourself into your normal riding position. Put your arms into a riding position, letting your hands fall wherever it's most comfortable for them to be. Have a friend snap a pic, or take measurements of where your hands are in relation to the top triple bar clamps. Try to find a bar that will place your hands closest to the spot you determined to be the most comfortable. That should get you the best bar for your body/bike combo. IMO, the best bar is the one that's most comfortable.

Comment

And what's wrong with the ones you drink in ?

Cheers , Simon .
                        http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I put superbike bars on my 650G. drastic improvement in handling, and it leans through a turn almost too effortlessly. If you're putting on lower bars you're going to need to adress the clutch and throttle cables. They'll be too long with lower bars, and at the least, the engine speed will increase when you turn. This is a very good bit of info that hasn't been passed around too much.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I re-routed my cables so they work with the superbike bars, but it's still not quite right. As soon as I have the time to take this thing apart again I'm switching to the shorter cables.

Comment

Bars you say?

I custom make my own bars:

Ohhh the bike, right.

I got me some Daytona bars on the 650 GL and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
                              ... I got me some Daytona bars on the 650 GL and love it.
                              You put them on at the wrenching party at Redneck's, right? I don't recall seeing a post about them.
                              What do you think, better? Should be lower, higher, what?

I've got an 550M I'm thinking of putting clubmans on.

Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2010, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X