powder coating exhaust GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

powder coating exhaust GS1000

My GS1000 has a black 4 into 1 exhaust system that is not in the greatest condition. Not rusty, but could do with a freshening up. Does anybody have any experience with powder coating the exhaust, and how it holds up to the heat? I have a local powder coater who has done a good bit of stuff for my other bikes, good prices and quality, but nothing that is exposed to heat like an exhaust.
    Ideally, I'd like a chrome system, but don't want to have this one chromed -mainly for appearance. I don't know what make this system is, came already installed on the bike, no manufacturer plate/name on it and I don't have the stockers.
    All input/opinions/suggestions appreciated.

ian J Allentown, PA

Powder coating on the headers will melt. It'll possibly be ok on the silencers though. Paint or ceramic coating is the way to go for headers (apart from chrome).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ask your powder coater about exhaust-specific materials - they do exist. Regular powder coat will not hold up to the temps. Cermakrome is one other option.
      Last edited by Nessism; 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Are the black headers on the 4-1's not done in some form of baked enamel?
        What about black chrome?

Comment

Ceramic coating is the way to go...
          I had the headers on my drag bike done last summer in silver...
          They do make a black ceramic coating...which I want to do to the headers on my street 1100E.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

i had the 4 into 1 on my 550 honda stove enamalled and it still looked good after 2 years of thrashing. dont think powder coating will take the heat
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

plastic coating

few yrs ago had a Yam Dt125r as a winter hack had exhaust plastic coated
              it all burnt off within a few months.

Comment

here are some options that have a pretty good reputation as I have heard

Comment

HPC now owns Jet-Hot.
                  I had a header coated last month Cost $140 plus S&H. had to get the pipe sand blasted before sending it or there would have been another $50 charge. Total was $177 back to my door. Call for a quote and they will send a hard copy total before you ever send the parts, so you know exactly how much, freight included.
                  Got to say that the polished ultra chrome finish looks more like polished stainless than like chrome. All in all, I'd do it again. thinking it was money well spent.

Comment

Ceramic coating is the way to go, if you don't mind springing for it. I had my exhaust (Wolf Racing) ceramic double coated (inside & outside) for around $200, 6 years ago, in semi-gloss Arctic Black, and it held up very well, in terms of durability. Cosmetically however, know that ceramic coating will lighten a few shades over a 5-6 year period....to restore the appearance last year, I scuffed the coating slightly, cleaned the pipes, and shot 2 coats of VHT Flameproof ceramic paint, over the ceramic coating, and it worked out very well....it might be worth trying out just the VHT ceramic paint, using their available Flameproof primer & clear coat to get decent results, at a fraction of the price.
                    Last edited by Mysuzyq; 08-09-2010, 03:34 AM.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

I had the V&H pipe and muffler on my KZ 750 ceramic coated by powder barons in middletown, delaware.

Here is there web site (http://www.powderbarons.com/page/page/1071953.htm) .

The pipe was pretty rusty, they sandblasted it and coated it matte black, for about $200.

It's supposed to resist temps to 2000 degrees.

Comment

Powder coating is a form of dry paint where as enamel for e;g is a wet paint. The powder coating is electrostatically charged to the job and then it goes into a bake oven (200+ degrees of memory)….
                        Essentially it is normal paint and paint cannot withstand exhaust header temperature…
                        So I wouldn’t recommend it and I believe neither will the powder coater…

I use pot belly stove paint for my exhaust if I want them matt black it is heat resistant (900+) and comes in a tin (not a rattle can) so you can put it in a gun and spray it on. Best of all you can get it at your local hardware store…

Comment

There is powder coating for exhaust systems. I have some and going to try it. Powder coat is not paint but different types of plastics materials that are ground up, electricly charge when being applied to the metal surface then bake (melted) to a uniform finish. Normal powder coat can with stand 300 degrees. The Hi-temp stuff I have will with stand 1000 deg. Like I said have not done it yet I will in the winter. The powder cost me around $30. Of course I have all my own equipment for powder coating but if it works it is a cheap alternative to ceramic coating.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                            There is powder coating for exhaust systems. I have some and going to try it. Powder coat is not paint but different types of plastics materials that are ground up, electricly charge when being applied to the metal surface then bake (melted) to a uniform finish. Normal powder coat can with stand 300 degrees. The Hi-temp stuff I have will with stand 1000 deg. Like I said have not done it yet I will in the winter. The powder cost me around $30. Of course I have all my own equipment for powder coating but if it works it is a cheap alternative to ceramic coating.
                            I'd like to know what you are using since everything I'm being told here is it can't be done since the exhaust gets too hot.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                              There is powder coating for exhaust systems. I have some and going to try it. Powder coat is not paint but different types of plastics materials that are ground up, electricly charge when being applied to the metal surface then bake (melted) to a uniform finish. Normal powder coat can with stand 300 degrees. The Hi-temp stuff I have will with stand 1000 deg.
                              Will that be enough, esp. at the header? Might be an idea to spray the insides with VHT high temp ceramic rattle-can paint (2000F) at the header, for some cheap insurance.
                              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X