Fairing for those with an acquired taste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairing for those with an acquired taste

Found this outfit on Ebay. Anyone brave enough to pop a fairing like that on their bike?

79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    Found this outfit on Ebay. Anyone brave enough to pop a fairing like that on their bike?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1981-SUZUKI-GS...item255c91ca0d

Is it a salavage title? You would think after being sideswiped by that Citrone

Comment

Saw this one in WI last week.....

I dont like windshields and fairings but they serve a purpose. Not just to make a bike look like butt.

Last edited by bonanzadave; 08-10-2010, 12:51 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

translation please...

I have owned the outfit for almost 2 years and used it regularly until April when I SORNED it and have dry stored it since then.
        Oh and the sidecar is actually pretty cool on this one, but his question is that sharp angle fairing... NO I would not ride with that.

Comment

interesting that they even put cart on the other side over in uk

Comment

Sorned is a British thing that means it's off the road for a while, SORN stands for something like Sorta Off Road Now but that's probably not exactly the right words.

There are a lot of sidecars in Europe, you see them on both sides depending if they are from the UK or the rest of Europe, much like steering wheels.

Back to the original question, that fairing is butt ugly, but it might work fairly well.
            Last edited by tkent02; 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

SORN = Statutory Off Road Notification. All vehicles (except those first registered before 1973 = classic vehicle) have to pay a road user tax call the Road Fund Licence. Currently £60 for a bigger bike, mopeds etc are £15 a year, cars depends on the emissions but can be as little as zero (electric car) or several hundred £s for a gas guzzler. To be able to get a Road Fund Licence your vehicle must be insured and must have a current MOT (Ministry of Transport) certificate of roadworthiness (annual test that gets tougher every year - a sane MOT tester is worth his weight in gold).

If you don't intend to use your vehicle on the road and hence not pay for the road tax you have to declare it SORNed. If you don't declare it SORNed you face a fine and if you don't declare it SORNed and are caught on the road you have committed a crimnal offence with a maximum punishment of £5k and 6 months at Her Majesty's Pleasure (jail).

Brought in a few years ago to sort out the tax dodgers but as usual only seems to apply to the human race and not the other lot who ignore the laws anyway.

Sidecars in the UK must be fitted on the LH side unless they are on a classic vehicle. I think the reverse applies in Europe where they drive on the wrong side of the road like you guys.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the translation, and yea makes sense to keep the driver in the middle of the road, that is unless you wanted to use it as a postal service motorcycle

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                  Saw this one in WI last week.....

I dont like windshields and fairings but they serve a purpose. Not just to make a bike look like butt.

Safety first!!! Note the "Deer Whistles" on the sidecar.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post

Definitely one we have not seen here in the States.

Reminds me a bit of one I would love to find, a Jacwal Superwedge.

Last edited by Steve; 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM.
                    sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                      Nice idea, may pick some up just in case .

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                        Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Nice idea, may pick some up just in case .

http://deerwhistle.com/
                        There are many people that doubt the effectiveness of deer whistles. I have had them on some of my bikes (courtesy of previous owners) and can't verify that they work.

HOWEVER, ... I can tell you that the elephant whistles, crocodile whistles, gorilla whistles and all the other whistles I have are VERY effective.
                        I have not seen a single one of those critters while riding my bike.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          There are many people that doubt the effectiveness of deer whistles. I have had them on some of my bikes (courtesy of previous owners) and can't verify that they work.

HOWEVER, ... I can tell you that the elephant whistles, crocodile whistles, gorilla whistles and all the other whistles I have are VERY effective.
                          I have not seen a single one of those critters while riding my bike.

If I had a train whistle, would I never again see a train then?

Comment

Quite likely, but you won't be the first to have one.

If you look closely, you can see some PVC tubing around the saddlebags. That is the air tank.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

As far as the original Post call me silly but that is one fairing I might actually consider putting on an E bike. Its different and unique and looks like it would do the job without creating a wind dam. To bad they don't make Cell Phone Whistles.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X