Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 1000G: Are new side covers still available?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 1000G: Are new side covers still available?

I'm looking at the online parts catalog for a Suzuki dealer, and there are listings (without descriptions like color) for these, along with a price of $67.95. Other stuff like the gas tank is not there, so I'm figuring they may still be available, which seems odd for a bike this old.

Related question, I'm figuring they are black or a neutral/primer color since they are the same part number?

The new side cover I got for my 850GL came in unpainted black plastic. The surface was smooth and shiny so I was tempted to not paint it to match the already black bike.

Usually, if a part is no longer available, there will be something obvious in the listing. I think BikeBandit puts a price of $999 on unavailable items. Some places remove the item from the list accompanying the parts diagram, others gray them out. Last I looked, side covers for that bike were available. Beware part number supercession for cosmetic parts that change from one year to the next. Side cover badges can have the same part number for visually distinct parts that will still mount up.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I know im searching for side panels for my 1981 GS1000GL and coming up empty, any suggestions yall?

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo1982 View Post
        I know im searching for side panels for my 1981 GS1000GL and coming up empty, any suggestions yall?
        They show as available from Suzuki. Any dealer or on-line part source should be able to get them for you. Part Shark is the cheapest on-line place I'm aware of.

As Dogma mentioned, the covers come in raw plastic - ABS I think. They should be painted to protect the plastic I think - not sure what ozone and UV light will affect ABS so best to play it safe.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I looked up a 1981 1000GL (it shows X and T models beyond that) and they are available. I got mine as noted above and it is black ABS unpainted.

Part numbers for the "X" model are:
          RH: 47111-45310
          LH: 47211-45310

T:
          RH: 47111-45300
          LH: 47211-45300

They're cheaper than the G model covers by like $17. Get 'em while you can!

Comment

can u send me a link with the gl covers i cant locate them that well

Comment

can u send me a link with the gl covers i cant locate them that well
              OK, links to the individual parts are a bit difficult, so you will have to do some of the work yourself.

"GS1000G Shopper" gave you the part numbers. (Just in case you did not know, your '81 is an "X" model.)

Here are links to some of the vendors that are used by members of the forum, along with the price for YOUR sidecovers.
              They are called "Cover, Frame" and are, interestingly enough, on the "Frame Cover" fiche on each of the sites.

89.01 Alpha Sports
              83.34 Apex Sports
              66.67 Babbittsonline
              75.84 Bike Bandit
              63.51 BoulevardSuzuki
              ..n/a. Carolina Cycle
              63.34 Cycle Parts Nation
              83.34 Full throttle
              61.51 G&S Suzuki
              68.34 Motogrid
              70.01 MR Cycles
              63.51 PartShark
              ..n/a. Partsnmore
              ..n/a. Ron Ayers
              ..n/a. Z1 Enterprises

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              ... Part Shark is the cheapest on-line place I'm aware of. ...
              Ed, it changes from item to item, which is why I have the list that I do, and I will take the time to do some comparison shopping, but this time, G&S has Part Shark beat by a couple of dollars. Of course, you have to include shipping to get the full picture, but if you are buying a LOT of parts, sometimes the savings accumulated will offset a slightly higher shipping charge.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ya looking for individual part numbers for stuff is a little trickey at times, I been trying to learn that stuff though. what is the difference between the X and the T models ?

Comment

Ya looking for individual part numbers for stuff is a little trickey at times, I been trying to learn that stuff though. what is the difference between the X and the T models ?
                  T is usually titled as '80, and X is usually titled '81. (Here is a table of models and years.) Late or early imports sometimes deviate from this. On the shafties, not a lot changed between T and X, though it's always a good idea to double-check if you're trying to interchange. The changes mostly have to do with things like the shape of turns signals, or the color of headlight brackets. Some late X model 850's need a different cam cover gasket (used on Z and later models).
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

WOW, I didnt know that there could be so minut differences among the models, I am sorry to asking so many questions, been trying to learn stuff myself but ya know at times theres a need to some help and advice.

I wander how come that they would do different changes to the models and make some parts not interchangable?

Comment

Working...
                    X