Maier Fairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maier Fairings

I am looking at getting a small 1/4 fairing from Maier via Shadetree Powersports..$90...anyone have one on their ride? and if so how do you like it? I rode about 250miles yesturday and fought 30+mph wind most of the day..looking for something I can tuck behind a little bit..the Emgo cafe fairing doesnt look tall enough to be able to really block any wind..any thoughts? Thanks.

DDM

This is a Maier, same one you are thinking about? It doesn't do much for wind, looks OK I guess.
    There seems to be a little less airflow over the torso... Neck and head are in the wind.
    If the main jets arrive today I'll go for a ride and pay more attention to how well it works with the wind.
    Last edited by tkent02; 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It does knock down some wind, noticed it quite a bit when riding a similar bike without a fairing.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
        I am looking at getting a small 1/4 fairing from Maier via Shadetree Powersports..$90...anyone have one on their ride? and if so how do you like it? I rode about 250miles yesturday and fought 30+mph wind most of the day..looking for something I can tuck behind a little bit..the Emgo cafe fairing doesnt look tall enough to be able to really block any wind..any thoughts? Thanks.

DDM

Over a ton it helps alot.

below it mainly seems to deflect the wind to just the top of my helment. A bigger one would do more, but it is certainly noticeable.

I have mine fitted to a 8" headlamp so it is setback to allow a 1" gap for airflow. It seems to have a stabilizing effect on my front end at speed as well.

The pics give an idea of how much it is setback; kinda like a turbine engine on a airplane.

P.S. the headlamp opening had to be cut for enlargement with the 8" headlamp.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Can on of you gents do me a favor and take a pic of how the mounts go? I have one of these for the 1000G and I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Did t come with instructions, but im pretty sure all the brackets and bolts are there. Thanks fellas

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Can on of you gents do me a favor and take a pic of how the mounts go? I have one of these for the 1000G and I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Did t come with instructions, but im pretty sure all the brackets and bolts are there. Thanks fellas
            Not taking mine off for pics but

L brackets come up under the bars. Short part of the L is bolted to the fairing using the little flat brackets.

The split finger brackets on mine bolt to the (side )headlamp bolts ; I had to weld some washers onto the end of my fingers but they extend down and bolt to the lower faring holes.

If there are no holes drilled you are pretty free to choose. Get the upper mounted loosely first then do some measurements to figure out where the lowers go.

You will need some pretty thick rubber grommets on both sides of the fairing to avoid cracking it.

I also got these trick marine fasteners that are basically a hollow nut with a Phillips screw head. Kinda pricey but I only needed 4 of them. Besides being dressy the over sized hollow nut fits through the faring providing lower stress on the plastic.

If interested I can stop at the local store and see what they are called.

Comment

Josh,
              The two fork-like brackets tuck under the headlamp mounting bolts, you have to bend these brackets into an S-shape and drill holes in the front-center of the fairing to attach these brackets to the fairing. The rear mounts are easier - see photo. Again, I think you have to drill into the fairing but it's no biggie.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That's interesting, all there is on mine is the L shaped mount on the handlebars.
                Thought that seemed lame at first but it stays put OK.
                Got a pic of this other mount?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  That's interesting, all there is on mine is the L shaped mount on the handlebars.
                  Thought that seemed lame at first but it stays put OK.
                  Got a pic of this other mount?

sounds like you are missing the split fingers

I now have flat washers welded to the ends of the fingers to support thick rubber mounts.

Comment

Gotta love this, they are called:

Sex bolts - Phillips truss head serrated

I knew my fairing looked sexy; but now I know why.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I've had mine on all summer and it's great, it keeps the wind off your chest but you still get in you face & neck. I done feel like I going to blown off the bike. Sound like you found a good price I think mine was $120 from DK guess I should have shopped around a little more.

sigpic

1979 GS1000E
                      1982 GS1100GL
                      2008 Bandit1250S

http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/jsrose-gs/

Comment

One of those is definitely on my 'to get' list. Largely for how cool it looks, but also it seems like a good compromise wind wise. I'm not interested in touring or long distance, and I like the wind - most of the time. It would really be handy to have something to tuck in behind for high speed sprints and those chilly evenings when I'm silly enough not to bring something warm.

I LOVE these photos here where the fairing is painted to match the bike, I fully intend to put the funkagroovic three tone blue pinstripes on mine!
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                          One of those is definitely on my 'to get' list. Largely for how cool it looks, but also it seems like a good compromise wind wise. I'm not interested in touring or long distance, and I like the wind - most of the time. It would really be handy to have something to tuck in behind for high speed sprints and those chilly evenings when I'm silly enough not to bring something warm.

I LOVE these photos here where the fairing is painted to match the bike, I fully intend to put the funkagroovic three tone blue pinstripes on mine!
                          "Funkagroovic" now that is really gooveycool.

Ed does nice work but not sure if I'd call his pinstripping Funakgroovic

Comment

Well I did buy one today..last one they had on closeout for 90$..work on mounting it tonite and get some pics up sometime tomorrow..thanks for the replies!

DDM

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                              "Funkagroovic" now that is really gooveycool.

Ed does nice work but not sure if I'd call his pinstripping Funakgroovic
                              Agreed, the gold stripes are elegant and timeless. My tri-tone blue stripes, however, are pure disco - funkagroovic!
                              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                              X