New speakers/covers for the Vetter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New speakers/covers for the Vetter

While contemplating what to mount in the Cyclesound as far as a stereo and speakers, I got the bright idea that maybe I could comehow mount some speakers that were bigger than the 4" round ones I'm limited to in the cycle sound. But, I can't mount a speaker in the soft cover on the left. I have to make something. So, maybe I can make something out of fiberglass to kinda match the lockable one on the right, I thought. So, I headed to Lowe's to look around. I was thinking maybe I could by some sheet metal to cut to shape and form to the desired shape, then wrap fiberglass matt over it and apply the resin. Sounds simple enough. But, while at Lowe's I found some small sheets of thick 16 gauge steel and started thinking maybe I can just form this and cover it with black vinyl?? So, that was the new plan.
    Here's the first sheet with the shape drawn on:

The top/left after formed and hole cut for 4x6 speaker:

the bottom/left:

Applying the black vinyl with contact cement:

test fitting a speaker:

bottom/left after vinyl is on, bottom painted black and red trim applied:

top/left:

Covers on before dealing with the radio:

More to come:
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

It was a bit of a challenge how to mount the stereo I bought since it didn't have the standard old post mount design, but I finally figured it out using the included sleeve that came with it. I ended up buying a complete Boss system with a 320 watt Boss stereo that has a usb port and a slot for a sd card. So, I have to get busy ripping some cd's. Also has 18 fm presets and 12 am presets. I have the 4x6 3 way speakers in the covers and 4" round 3 way's in the cycle sound. I'm satisfied with the setup. So, what do you all think?
    Current Bikes:

Comment

Also, the stereo has a pop-out drawer where the readout is where you can stick in an adapter (comes with several) for your ipod. Pretty cool I think. I'm out about $175 for the whole deal.
      Current Bikes:

Comment

I had one on my 850 Used to vibrate a lot. Not real secure mounting

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          I had one on my 850 Used to vibrate a lot. Not real secure mounting
          I figured out that if I tuck it back into the "dash" as far as I could, and make the mounting tabs to fit accordingly(I made some), it removed most, if not all of the bouncing. I took it for a test ride and it wasn't bouncing at all. Plus, there's no cd to worry about.
          Current Bikes:

Comment

Nice work on making the left side cover, locking to boot too. I like that idea for having the four speakers, I bet it makes a huge difference.

Comment

That is OUTSTANDING, Dave, and it solves the biggest problem with the Cyclesound's limited speaker size ... volume at speed with quality bass and midrange!! I had considered using five or six inch round speakers in the cyclesound itself and building spacers to accomodate the larger speakers, but concluded that doing so might interfere with handlebar travel and other clearances ... so I simply put in a decent set of four inchers and called it good.

I also considered your solution, but didn't want to sacrifice storage space in the fairing. My long term plan was to add similar speakers to the rear of the bike, similar to what you might see on a 'Wing, but ultimately I decided just to leave things alone because I wasn't convinced I'd get the sound quality from the rear that I wanted.

Frankly, I think you've hit a home run with your solution, and I think the execution is terrific! I have no doubt it sounds great. On a related note, I am in the process of putting up the LED brake light pics I PM'd you about, and will send you a link to the thread when it's ready...

Awesome job, Pal!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
                Nice work on making the left side cover, locking to boot too. I like that idea for having the four speakers, I bet it makes a huge difference.
                I made both right and left covers as I didn't want to mess up the right one, and I wanted them to match. Thanks.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Thanks Steve. It does solve the volume problem nicely and the 4x6's add the missing bass frequencies. Not as good as 6x9's, but good enough. My only remaining problem, which I ran into on the way to work this morning, is that at low rpm's the stereo cuts out. I read earlier in the owner's manual that came with it that the stereo requires something like 15 volts to operate, which I think explains this. It also won't turn on with the bike off, which is not really a problem. But, it was very annoying when sitting there idling at a stop light to have the thing cut out on me. I'm not sure what I can do about it. Anybody have any thoughts?
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

Wow! Now that's odd. 15 volts required on a 12V system? Makes no sense...

I wonder if using a storage capacitor might help eliminate the drop-out when the bike voltage dips at idle? They're commonly used to help high amperage motors (like washing machines, etc.) start up without causing the line voltage to dip throughout the rest of the house.

On a high draw item like an upscale stereo I wouldn't be at all surprised if similar 12V capacitors were available for exactly this problem. Check with an autosound specialty store to see what they suggest. Large caps are usually somewhat pricey, but it would most likely solve the problem while the bike is running.

Regards,

Comment

Dave..I like the revamping of the radio..the idea of the speakers in the glove box covers is great. How hardf was it finding a unit to fit into the housing ? That is the housing i sent you isnt it?.. Did you need the antenna too? Oh and my leg where i slashed it making the box to send it has healed very nicely..LOL
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I made a mistake in an earlier post. The stereo requires 13.8 volts, not 15. Sorry for the mistake.

Also, as I was riding home from work, I discovered that the radio does not cut out at low rpm's, rather, it cuts out when I turn on the turn signals. I tried riding it without using the signals and it never cut out. So, I need to take a look at what the two hots are wired to and see how that relates to the source for the signals I guess. One hot is connected to the ignition switch while the other is a connected to a constant source so the clock and presets aren't lost.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                          Dave..I like the revamping of the radio..the idea of the speakers in the glove box covers is great. How hardf was it finding a unit to fit into the housing ? That is the housing i sent you isnt it?.. Did you need the antenna too? Oh and my leg where i slashed it making the box to send it has healed very nicely..LOL
                          Yep, it's the housing I got from you. I had to cut out the front since the radio is not a post mount. Then, I had to attach some metal strips inside for the tabs on the sleeve to bend and grab onto. It was a bit of a pain in the rear to get it to work, bit it works. I used your antenna at first, but it was so dang big and heavy that I didn't like the looks of it. So, I got one of those small whip type ones.

Glad to hear your leg is healing up good. Sorry for that.
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                            I made a mistake in an earlier post. The stereo requires 13.8 volts, not 15. Sorry for the mistake.
                            Doesn't matter ... 13.8 volts STILL makes no sense. I'd complain to the manufacturer for failing to properly design their sound system for the vehicles it's going to be installed in (ANY of them).

Requiring an input of over twelve volts for ANY device designed for a twelve volt system assumes that the vehicle will ALWAYS be running, and that the charging system is up to the task of pumping enough current to not only charge the battery but also run the device ... Nutty, in my opinion! After all, a twelve volt battery at rest only puts out ... twelve volts! Ok, maybe 12.5, depending on the individual battery, but no twelve volt battery that I know of runs at 13.8 volts.

Regards,
                            Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Actually, when my car is running, the battery is reading right around 14.5 volts, and that's not uncommon at all.
                              Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                              X