New speakers/covers for the Vetter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
    Actually, when my car is running, the battery is reading right around 14.5 volts, and that's not uncommon at all.
    ...But that's not the battery voltage, Dave ... that's the voltage coming off the charging system. If you shut the car off the battery voltage is generally no higher than 12.5 volts. The stereo should be designed to work when any vehicle it is connected to is turned off and the voltage is only 12 volts. Personally, I call "foul!"

Regards,
    Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2010, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
      ...But that's not the battery voltage, Dave ... that's the voltage coming off the charging system. If you shut the car off the battery voltage is generally no higher than 12.5 volts. The stereo should be designed to work when any vehicle it is connected to is turned off and the voltage is only 12 volts. Personally, I call "foul!"

Regards,
      Point taken, but I like the stereo and am going to keep it. I don't see as I need to have it on with the bike turned off anyway.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Point taken, but I like the stereo and am going to keep it. I don't see as I need to have it on with the bike turned off anyway.
        Of course that's your prerogative, but one thing I'd mention is that occasionally on GSR rallies it's been convenient (and enjoyable) to be able to run my unit while we were in the parking lot "shooting the $hit..."

Regards,

Comment

where is the sub-woofer?

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            where is the sub-woofer?
            Didn't you see the dog kennel mounted below the frame?

Regards,

Comment

I'll share a story for ya. I play guitar and was playing a nice quaint little classical guitar solo at church one Sunday, when this seeing eye dog an elderly lady always brought into the church with her started barking all of a sudden right in the middle of my solo. Later, a friend said, "I liked your solo, especially when the subwoofer kicked in". I loved it.
              Current Bikes:

Comment

I ended up buying a complete Boss system with a 320 watt Boss stereo
                Without delving into all the math, I think what is happening is your charging system does not put out enough amps to drive the stereo when you operate the turn signals.

Comment

I'll share a story for ya. I play guitar and was playing a nice quaint little classical guitar solo at church one Sunday, when this seeing eye dog an elderly lady always brought into the church with her started barking all of a sudden right in the middle of my solo. Later, a friend said, "I liked your solo, especially when the subwoofer kicked in". I loved it.
                  Good one! Reminds me I have to restring my guitar today!

Regards,

Comment

Been reading up on audio system capacitors. Might be the thing to do here.
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

Been reading up on audio system capacitors. Might be the thing to do here.
                      Those capacitors are basically to prevent clipping when the bass hits. The caps release power during peak demand like during those big bass notes. Not likely to do you much good with the system you have. When planning any audio system you need to figure out the amount of amperage needed to drive your system. That is why when a high output system is installed in a vehicle it is often necessary to upgrade the alternator and/or add additional batteries to the car (especially if you plan on listening to your radio with the vehicle off).

Comment

I was actually going to suggest that another option might be to install a second battery in the fairing, but my concerns would be:

1. Would the charging system be able to keep up with recharging two batteries? I think it'd be a stretch.

2. The extra weight in the fairing might upset the balance of the bike, in addition to raising the center of gravity.

Of course, if you were to buy one of those ridiculously expensive "new technology" batteries that are less than half the size of their conventional counterparts but put out much more amperage you'd probably be just fine. In fact, if you bought one of those in the same dimensions as the stock battery you could probably run just the one battery and have gobs of reserve power available ... Only question would be, does the stock charging system have the guts to properly charge one of these? I don't know enough about them to be able to answer that question...

Regards,

Comment

Most semi-conductors used in that type audio equipment are designed to operate on a voltage range of say 12-15 VDC. Are those speakers water proof?
                          '81 GS750E - Gone but fondly remembered.
                          '03 DR650
                          sigpic

Comment

No, not waterproof. I was thinking of making some covers with the remaining vinyl I have. I could sew in some flat magnets that would stick right to the covers. I website I was looking at for capacitors also had some special batteries for sale that are for higher powered stereo systems. Not sure of the cost though. But I'll either have to do something, or get rid of the stereo. I'd hate to do that though.
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

Dave,

The stock Cyclesound system originally came with an integral cover. They, of course, have to be modified to work with the "stalkless" radios, but they work well. Only problem is, they're VERY hard to find - I got lucky.

As you can see in the pics below, the cover is hinged, and is held open or closed through the use of small rubber bands (mine are missing, but I generally find small bands that work from time to time... I may try a nitrile o-ring if I can find one in my kit that works...

I don't know whether these pics might be helpful in helping you custom build a solution, but figured at the very least you'd know what to look for if one shows up on E-bay or Craigslist.

Regards,

Comment

Thanks Steve, but he was asking if the Speakers were waterproof. By the way, what kind of stereo do you have, and does it sound good? I think I've come to the conclusion that either this radio I have is defective or, if not, I'm gonna send it back anyway. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to listen to the radio.
                                Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                                X