Help with color schemes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with color schemes

I have a 79 GS 1000E and am getting ready to have the bike repainted. My bike is currently the traditional black with blue/gold pin-striping. I really don't mind the black color but I just can't bring myself to re-live the Bee-Gees and the pinstripes. I am not looking for an air-brushed Harley look but want something tastefully retro (sans the disco stripes) and modern looking. I have gone through the gallery but really didn't get any ideas. I would love to see what some of you have done outside of the factory schemes.

I have only had one bike painted and it wasn't an E, or even a 1000.
    It was re-done with basically the factory pattern, but not the same colors.

My wife's '82 850L started out as the black and gray, but it looked like whoever fueled the thing regularly might have been blind.
    There were several, no, MANY nicks in the paint within two inches of the filler neck. It looked like someone just banged the gas hose down, said "oops, I missed the hole" and tried again. And again, and again.

The side covers were both partially repainted. The gray area in the center had been re-done in a battleship gray with a brush. And, one of the covers had a large crack and a missing mounting tab.

Colors were easy for us. She likes dark blue (similar to my Wing), but thought it would be too dark. I suggested the bright silver to brighten it up from the sides. Added some pinstripes (again, to sorta match my Wing) and here is the result:

And, because it's HER BIKE, she has her guardian angel painted on the tank, too.

Yeah, it's not for everyone, but it was meant to please HER.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

check out the custom bike post lots of ideas in there

Comment

Welcome to this club,I have been driving my wife crazy with my waffling on colors I could do my 85 750 in.So many choices it's hard.Think I've picked something then see a combination that goes "that would look good" and I'm off again.

Comment

heres my GS, simple but effective

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Colors were easy for us. She likes dark blue (similar to my Wing), but thought it would be too dark. I suggested the bright silver to brighten it up from the sides. Added some pinstripes (again, to sorta match my Wing) and here is the result:

That looks pretty awesome! Howd you do those pinstripes?

Comment

I agree with Agemax, simple is better and keeping it as close to the stock look as possible. I always retain the original bodywork, color and sheme than customize other areas to my liking, similar to the bike above in the photo...btw great look Agemax!

Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                That looks pretty awesome! Howd you do those pinstripes?
                It was actually rather easy.

We just took the body parts (tank, side covers and trunk) to the painter, told him
                "we want a dark metallic blue (sort of like my Wing), make the inset areas a bright silver,
                then add some pink and blue stripes (again, like my Wing) and add an angel on the tank."

About five weeks later, we handed him $700 and took the parts home.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

IMO GS1000's can benefit from a two tone paint job and the overall effect can be okay. Pinstripes were used almost on every 70's Japanese bikes so if you eliminate that feature it might not appear to be from that period. A GS 1000/1100 which look like a tri color GSXR or CBR is trying to be something it isn't

+1: Custom Bikes Thread

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
                  Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Nice idea with the two-tone. Thanks

Comment

I like to use stock colors or VERY close matches. For me, when a bike has been repainted in a color that wasn't availabe at the time the bike was built...it looks like a "nice bike" but "where did that color come from".

To each their own.

Comment

Mine is Painted in ford Fiestiva green.
                        Im happy with the one colour but my mates are 50/50 on pinstriping it.

It does have the side cover badges on now that make a difference.

Comment

Seat- Agemax

Agemax,
                          I really like the seat you got for your white GS 1000. Where did you get it or did you have it specially made?

Comment

Shedman,
                            Nice job thinking "out of the box".

Comment

Originally posted by cliffnote View Post
                              Agemax,
                              I really like the seat you got for your white GS 1000. Where did you get it or did you have it specially made?
                              its an aftermarket seat, not sure what make. i had it upholstered in black suede. you can still get them on ebay now and again.....
                              hang on, i just found this one on ebay. exactly the same shape. apparently they are still in business

Last edited by Agemax; 09-30-2010, 07:38 AM. Reason: link added
                              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
                              X