Emblem refreshing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emblem refreshing

I have a 77 GS750 and got thinking the other day about refreshing the emblems. But my question is, How does anyone freshen up the crome on the plastic emblems?

When I joined the board I say some pics on refinishing emblems but that person never said how he did the crome.

Thankx, Eric

Well Eric you're in luck. Every 77-79 750 I have ever owned (and it's been more than a couple) has had metal emblems. They may look plastic but they aren't. What they do have is a plastic or clearcoating over them. If you have a buffing wheel, blast those puppies with aircraft stripper, then polish up the chrome (it's actually polished aluminium) and then mask off the letters and respray the background black. I've done it a time or three and it works great

Comment

Same question, different bike....on the 80 GS850, the tank badges feel like metal emblems with what appears to be a gold coating (anodizing?) over chrome. I can tell that because some of the gold has flaked off. In some places I can flake off little pieces with just my fingernail, in most other places, it's still well bonded to the chrome underneath.

Ending up with chrome badges is fine with me. Anyone ever try to take that gold coating off without damaging the chrome?

Comment

Again, aircraft striper should do the job, and it won't hurt anything.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by tyson1989 View Post
            I have a 77 GS750 and got thinking the other day about refreshing the emblems. But my question is, How does anyone freshen up the crome on the plastic emblems?

When I joined the board I say some pics on refinishing emblems but that person never said how he did the crome.

Thankx, Eric
            Are we talking side cover or tank emblems ?
            http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
            1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

Are we talking side cover or tank emblems ?
              For me, yes.

I think we have a handle on the metal tank badges. Side cover badges, I think those are plastic, so I'll probably just have to replace those.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM.

Comment

i did my tank and side panel emblems by firstly stripping with paitnt stripper, then spraying with enamel paint, then detail the letters what ever cover you want with model enamel paint and a small brush.
                wet and dry the protruding letter edges til they are shiny then clear coat the whole thing.
                i have done loads of these to customer requirements and they are all well happy. you can match the letters almost perfect to your tank colour or, obviously any colour you want
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

thankx for the replies. Really have not looked close at my emblems I guess. I'll look tommorrow.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X