No announcement yet.

ape hangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Swanny on this one. They do look stupid.

Nick

Comment

thank you all so much on your opinions on how they look...considering the question I first asked had nothing to do with your opinions on how they look.
      I have put a lot of time and effort into designing my bike to look the way I like it. This is why I take so much offense. A lot of people on this site have modified the appearence on their bikes to their taste. Let me do the same without your comments. I wont give you my opinions when you dont ask...I ask that you do the same.
      I am not posting on this topic anymore...I'm done with it. :x

Comment

Hey cameroman - this isn't personal. If I can't say that I don't like the looks of ape hangers, then I am restricted from saying 'shafties suck'. That would be like taking my sunshine away.

Comment

Re: ape hangers

Originally posted by camaroman
          anyone know how many inch rise a 1982 gs 650 GL will handle without changing throttle cable, fron brake cable...etc?
          I would like 8 inch...but dont know if its possible
          Tell ya what. Since nobody's answered your original question, I'll take a stab at it. Lowering mine by three", and changing the angle to almost 45? downward cancelled each other out, so my cables and hydraulic lines were exactly the same. That's the extent of my experience, however...

The best way to see if they'll fit would be to unhook the left clutch lever assembly from the bar, and try to lift it into the imagined place (about 8") up, and at whatever angle you figure that spot on the handlebars would be. If you can't get it up that far, you need to get a longer cable. Same with the other side's levers. Almost guaranteed your throttle cable is going to have to be longer, as I've discovered even routing it wrong can be hazardous when you turn your wheel lock to lock, which is something else you have to look at. You can't be straining the cables from lock to lock. If you're going up any number of inches, those cables and hoses (you do have hydraulic brake hose on the front? not a cable?) will probably have to be that extra number of inches longer, and allowing for lock to lock. Brake hoses can be made to whatever length you'd need, and a good time to look at custom stainless braided, while you're at it. As for the length of the cables, you may need to take your existing cables into a dealer, and hunt for something that's the needed extra length... Might be able to find what you need at the HD dealer, since they're usually the only ones that most put 'apehangers' on... and what you're after is to match the little nubbin's at the ends of the cables, etc....

Simply put, the cables and hoses are exactly the right length for stock placement. Any rise is going to necessitate <sp?> changing them, I'm pretty sure.

Aside from personal tastes, if you're really sure you want to do this to your bike, just remember that it does affect the handling in a negative way, and if you're doing any number of hours on the bike at a time, maybe you should rent the Easy Rider DVD. In the bonus features, Peter Fonda mentions how tired his arms were after extensive filming/riding the Captain America chopper... I believe he mentioned something about his arms being stuck in that position for awhile. :? Choppers are about a certain 'style', but not about better handling. Some of those bikes were almost unrideable.

But, if you want to do this, fill yer boots, bro'. 8) Having a bike is about having it your way. Otherwise, we'd all be riding the exact same bike... but everybody's got an opinion, and that's what the worldwideweb is about... global opinions. Otherwise, one can always unplug the 'puter from the 'net and live in their own little world.

Good luck,
          Robben

Comment

I am not a big fan of ape hangers but that's probably due to having a Triumph chopper in the early 70s with ape hangers, extended forks, rear struts, and a coffin shaped tank.

I was actually pretty comfortable going down the highway as long as you didn't have anything but slow sweepers. It was a little more challenging in the twisties and you had to take them at a modest pace.

But the real killer was trying to maneuver it around in a parking lot, it handled like a Dump truck with no power steering in a parking lot.

Back to the original question. If you check with independent shops in you area you may find someone who still makes their own cables. If you can find someone to do it you can get cables made to exactly fit your bike with the ape hangers. Not too many people do this anymore but we still have a few shops that do it here in New Mexico. They use good quality cable and with Teflon lined housings. The only bad thing about them is a lot of them use cable ends that are held on with a screw that can work loose over time.

One of the fixes I've used with these cables is to use a propane torch and solder the screw in place and the end of the cable where it?s flush with the fitting. You will have better luck finding someone who makes these cables if you look at shops that do a lot of dirt bike work.

Mike

Comment

thanks for the info guys!

Comment

signal left, and go right

Did you learn to drive in New Mexico? Here it's either signal one direction and turn the other or no signal at all.

Mike

Comment

Wow. This place lit up like a spinnin' tire! Long as we're all watching this post, are there any GS'ers in Belgium reading this? There's a guy named Oliver in here asking for help with his GS. (See "Help me rebuild my bike, sad story") in GS Stories. He needs some hands-on help I think. Spread the word.

Comment

Iron Mike doesn't like the phrasiology of 'ape hangers'. IM doesn't like 'monkey bars' either. The last fight I had I imagined he used those words. Ever had the pee water knocked out of you? Keep it up - IM's comin.

Comment

Nope, never have. Think I'll just go for a ride instead.

Comment

Ape Hangers Hmmmmmmmm

The question at the top started out about getting new cables for ape hangers. Not weather or not it was proper for him to put ape hangers on his bike....... As for me the choice is simple I like my apes (Being 6-4) I am not all hunched up on top of my ride......... :twisted:

Comment

My 1000L had 8" rise and 13" pull back. If your 650L bars are the same there should be plenty of cable unless you are going completely "ape".
                          I kinda like the look, just don't care to do a lot of miles with that stance.
                          Good Luck

Comment

you can get the chopper look on a gs

pick up a copy of "The Horse" or visit ironcross.com they have frame kits to chpooer old metrics they look awsome to Ive seen a gs and a kawa
                            thinking about it myself.
                            Keltic

Comment

APE HANGERS

I'm running 8" rise western bars on my '79 GS550E and I use standard cables,I've just rerouted them slightly.No problems.Go for it,man,it's your bike!

Comment

Can't say I agree with the choice of apehangers, but that's strictly up to you.

I don't know anyone well enough to pick out a motorcycle for them, and I certainly don't know anyone well enough to tell them how it should look.

I know a guy with an odd type of arthritis, and somehow a sky-high apehanger is the only way he can ride without pain.

Anyway, back to your question...
                                You can often re-route the existing cables to accomodate a handlebar change, and this is probably about your only choice. Is it even possible to get custom (non Hardley-Ableson) control cables made anymore?

But remember that this is EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS! You could definitely kill yourself if you get it even slightly wrong. I'm not kidding.

When I installed lower bars on my GS850G, I had to make a few careful changes to the routing of the clutch and throttle cables to give the extra few inches of cable someplace to go. I also added a length of plastic flex tube covering the clutch cable at one point under the tank to make sure it didn't rub through any other wires in its new home.

You have to be positive that the re-routed cable will still operate smoothly. If there's any change at all in the way the control feels, try again. And you have to check the throttle cable by turning it lock-to-lock with the engine idling. If there's any change at all in idle speed when you turn the handlebars, you have to fix the problem ASAP.

And don't forget to pay attention to the air drag on the cables at speed -- make sure they don't blow back into the pipes, tangle with anything or create any awkward angles.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                                X