Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to remove paint from plastics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
    When people ask for help, and then do what they want anyway, then why ask for help in the first place? If someone wants to experiment, more power to them. Parts and materials (especially) are very expensive these days.
    Then why do you have such a problem with me throwing some scrap plastic pieces into a test? I never asked for your help or opinion, didn't ask you if sanding works the best. I have heard of people doing these things for years, every time I did a paint job I wondered about it. Stuck with sanding because I didn't want to ruin my good plastic parts. Now I have some scrap pieces laying here that haven't been thrown out yet, so I'm testing this idea. I really wouldn't expect you to use this, I wouldn't take the chance either if I was doing expensive paint jobs for paying customers. A lot of us guys who enjoy doing some occasional painting ourselves might like to know what works and what doesn't. So, brake fluid next, whether you approve or not.

If the paint falls off my bike next week, so be it.
    Last edited by tkent02; 11-10-2010, 02:24 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I do my absolute best not to sound arrogant in any way. I honestly try to advise people in methods and techniques that are time-proven and substantiated by not only me, but some of the best painters around. If I can save someone the hassle of finding out that paint stripper will ruin plastic parts, then I'll try. When people ask for help, and then do what they want anyway, then why ask for help in the first place? If someone wants to experiment, more power to them. Parts and materials (especially) are very expensive these days. Sanding is the biggest part of any paint job, you just can't get around it. No one likes to sand, but that's what makes the difference between something nice, and something just so-so. I do this for a living. If people think that I'm going to experiment with their parts, I'm not going to stay in business very long. I invite anyone to check out my process, and my finished projects at www.meticulouspaint.com. I lay it all out for the whole world to see, what took me years to perfect, free of charge.
      You are 100% correct, sanding is the way to go and is the norm. I do not think anyone is contesting that at all or in any way. It is just that there may be another method that does work as well.

There have been chemicals developed for so many things to date, that it is quite likely that something may be available or some other alternative. I think the people reading this thread will make up their minds as to whether to go the known, proven way or to try an alternative.

Yes, your comments are heard and thanks for your input. We always need to keep the known and proven method in mind when we start experimenting. You are also 100% correct that when stating that you would not experiment with customers bikes and I support that fully as well.

Comment

I heard rubbing goose crap does a good job removing paint from plastic-anyone want to test that??

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
          I heard rubbing goose crap does a good job removing paint from plastic-anyone want to test that??
          It'll probably work as well as brake fluid.. Seriously, though, I wish tkent02 the best of luck. I applaud anyone's willingness to try and do their own work. Just trying to save you, or anyone, time and money.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I do my absolute best not to sound arrogant in any way.
            Looking at your gallery, you have room to be pretty arrogant. Nice work.

Comment

Quick update for this thread...

I mentioned earlier that I had very good results using paint stripper on both my metal tank and my plastic front fender.

I wanted to report that this is NOT the case with my cowl (and I assume side covers).

After a few minutes of applying the paint stripper to the cowl I felt as if it was melting the plastic. I'm not sure if the melting was just the previous pain job (perhaps something with a plastic-like base) but I wasn't taking any chances. I quickly dunked the cowl in my bucket of water and then proceeded to use my rotary sander with 120 grit paper to clean off that area. After a good sanding, it looks like no harm was actually done but unless I come across a plastic safe paint remover I'm going to be in for a lot of manual sanding for my cowl and side panels. :-(

Comment

Working...
              X