buffin' like a crazed maniac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buffin' like a crazed maniac

Well I'm making head way on the skunk but I'm pretty sure all the old gunk is now on me! Had to laugh it wasn't until I was almost completely done that I had the epiphany of purchasing a face shield.........not the sharpest tool in the shed, but definitely the fastest.

IMG_9732 by azr33, on Flickr

The thing is shedding more than my old Husky did......and who thought those halogens bulbs would be safe 'behind' the polishing wheel???

IMG_9733 by azr33, on Flickr

It's as if I put in in a running lawnmower..

If you think the bench is dirty you should have seen me!

Copy of IMG_9725 by azr33, on Flickr

not too shabby.
    Last edited by azr; 11-06-2010, 11:40 PM. Reason: Always forgetting something
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

My floor and surrounding area looks the same after polishing. It's a mess! But worth it.

Please tell me you are at least wearing a dust mask. Aluminum Oxide is nasty stuff. It will give you old-timers disease and your pecker will fall off.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Ya at least that part I have down pat, 2 filter re-breather.
      Rob
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I know the feeling.. I had to sweep the wall behind my buffing rig..

What wheels and compounds are you using?

Is that tight sewn wheel a sisal?

Comment

Not sure if it's a sisal, don't think so. I can't get proper wheels her in the Capital of the Province (go figure). I'm grabbing these from a rock hound shop in town. I was using red rouge on the thicker wheel with not great results, although I think the wheel became dirty. The white rouge on the thinner wheel works wonders. I had to replace the wheel once though due to it getting filled with dirt/grease. I'm cleaning things pretty weel and hitting them with either a brass wire wheel first or wet sandpaper, 400/1000/2000 yet I still wind up getting the wheel black. I'm trying to make sure I'm not using too much compound but obviously I'm doing something wrong....at least I think I am, who knows.......the end result looks shinny though and I'm havin' fun so I guess that's all that matters.
          Rob

Comment

azr,

Aluminium does that, turn everything black. I find it a balancing act to get the right amount of rouge on the wheel. Too much and it's tough to get it off, not enough, progress is slow. I didn't know aluninium oxide is bad stuff. I'll have to read up?

cg
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice,my next tool/purchase buffing wheel.Isn't there a device to clean these wheels?Something like a metal comb.

1978 GS1000C
              1979 GS1000E
              1980 GS1000E
              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                azr,

I didn't know aluninium oxide is bad stuff. I'll have to read up?

cg
                Just a tidbit I found:

Aluminum
                One of the most publicized and controversial theories concerns aluminum, which became a suspect in Alzheimer's disease when researchers found traces of this metal in the brains of patients with Alzheimer's disease. Many studies since then have either not been able to confirm this finding or have had questionable results.
                Aluminum does turn up in higher amounts than normal in some autopsy studies of Alzheimer's patients, but not in all. Further doubt about the importance of aluminum stems from the possibility that the aluminum found in some studies did not all come from the brain tissues being studied. Instead, some could have come from the special substances used in the laboratory to study brain tissue.
                Aluminum is a common element in the Earth's crust and is found in small amounts in numerous household products and in many foods. As a result, there have been fears that aluminum in the diet or absorbed in other ways could be a factor in Alzheimer's. One study found that people who used antiperspirants and antacids containing aluminum had a higher risk of developing Alzheimer's. Others have also reported an association between aluminum exposure and Alzheimer's disease.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Yes i had heard that about the aluminum in alzheimers patients as well. Then Alcoa and other aluminum manufacturers and their lobbyists came out and said that was only from the loose aluminum that scrubbies and chore boy released when scrubbing aluminum pots and pans.. that cooking in them wouldnt rerlease any into the foods. Then they said that aluminum cans wouldnt leach any aluminum into drinks or beer. For all the parts polishuing i have done i will probably have it in a few years myself if that theory is true. Anyways, n iow that i have strayed off in my mind and forgotten what i was gonne type i probably should shut up..what was i just saying?? Oh yeah...shut up. On other question.. how do you spell supercalifragilisticachespeealladoshish correctly.
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I do an initial cut on rough oxidation with 400 grit silicon carbide wet paper.

Caution can be used and you can drop down incrementally maybe testing at 2000 to 1500 to 1000 to picks a lwer number.

To rough a grit on the paper makes for more work if you put in scratches.
                    I love shiny aluminum If I had the money Id get a P51 and buff it just to get blinded by the shine.

carefully using an old saw blade combs the wheeels pretty well
                    the wheel on the left is probaly getting eaten due to the shape of what you are buffing it seems that when i do sharp edges the wide banded wheels wear out quicker .

This may because the threads are whipped so fast and snap against the sharp edges.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                      Just a tidbit I found:

Aluminum
                      One of the most publicized and controversial theories concerns aluminum, which became a suspect in Alzheimer's disease when researchers found traces of this metal in the brains of patients with Alzheimer's disease. Many studies since then have either not been able to confirm this finding or have had questionable results.
                      Aluminum does turn up in higher amounts than normal in some autopsy studies of Alzheimer's patients, but not in all. Further doubt about the importance of aluminum stems from the possibility that the aluminum found in some studies did not all come from the brain tissues being studied. Instead, some could have come from the special substances used in the laboratory to study brain tissue.
                      Aluminum is a common element in the Earth's crust and is found in small amounts in numerous household products and in many foods. As a result, there have been fears that aluminum in the diet or absorbed in other ways could be a factor in Alzheimer's. One study found that people who used antiperspirants and antacids containing aluminum had a higher risk of developing Alzheimer's. Others have also reported an association between aluminum exposure and Alzheimer's disease.
                      Oh sure! Take all the fun out of polishing. You just don't want other guys to have shiny bikes.

You're right Bruce. Bad stuff. And some people gotta be told.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

AWESOME! The pic of the bike really looked good. Can't wait to see more pics of it. Maybe you should invest in the buffer wheel company's stock if you go through them like that... just saying! Great job though.

Comment

My boy is polishing his snowmobil tunnel. Looked like garbage to start. Amased at how it turned out. Took him 4 hours is all. He used easy off oven cleaner to get the paint off, then started polishing.
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Here is the result. He used a 7" angle grinder with flap wheels and a red rough compound that he got at the parts department of the local Kenworth dealer. Finished with mothers and a microfiber cloth. Spent a total of just under $30 plus the use of my grinder.

Comment

Now seal it with WIZARDS POWER SEAL..youll be glad you did.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X