Which Fairing for a GS450L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Fairing for a GS450L?

My wife has an 82 GS450L. She wants a faring like mine but mine is too big - Vetter Windjammer Mark IV on a GS850. Which fairing is the right size for her bike?

Looking on eBay I see the Quicksilver and Vindcator, but without knowing the dimensions I have no idea what will fit her bike. Will something from a smaller Yam/Hon/Kaw work with a moded out bracket & wires?

I know it's really the mounting bracket that matters when it comes to Vetter, but finding them for Suzuki is like finding Jimmy Hoffa. It's easier to find Waldo in those pictures - LOL.

Also, it doesn't have to be Vetter. It can be Slipstreamer or the like. It's just that Vetters are cheaper and I like to stay "Of the period" when I can.

Thanks

Jim

IMO, you shouldn't put a Vetter on a GS450. A GS450 isn't a very fast or powerful bike and putting on a Vetter will make it slower.

If you want a fairing, maybe just get a windshield or maybe one of those 1/4 cafe fairings.

Comment

If you are looking mainly for wind protection, look into one of the handlebar-mounted units from National Cycle. The one that is shown on my wife's bike in my sig is the Plexifairing 2. We have since changed it to a Plexifairing 3, which has longer 'legs' that stick down farther below the turn signals. The level of protection offered by these windshields is actually rather comparable to a frame-mounted fairing. The most notable difference is the lack of weight and storage capacity.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well I know the Quicksilver was made for the smaller bikes because of that. I'm not real hip on the style of that though - with the windshield almost straight up.

A Slipstreamer would work but like I say if there is a Vetter for it I'd like to see one of those.

Comment

They also made a "Rooster" model, but like you already know, the hardest part will be finding the mounting hardware.

The Pacifico Aero fairing that I have mounted on "Junior" (see my sig) is sized between the Windjammer and the Quiksilver.
          I have some magazine reprints that compared the Aero to the two Vetters and found the performance right between them, too.

I have not ridden behind a Quicksilver, but I have put on over 1000 miles behind the Aero and found it rather acceptable. The Aero is much more rounded than the Vetter products, which might be a bit more pleasing to the eye, and it's also a bit lighter. When my fairing was shipped, the total weight of the fairing, mounting brackets, packing material and box was only 39 pounds.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X