No announcement yet.

Steps I need to follow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So to get the other part of the question answered...is this something I can do in the house without too big of an issue? Weather for the next several days is in the upper 40s to mid 50s outside with nights dipping down to the teens and 20s. I would like to get this done so I'm not waiting all winter to do something on the bike. I'm thinking paint it inside and then find a toaster oven to cure it once dried. Will there be any health issues for the kids with me spraying it as long as I lay plastic down to cover the rug? We keep the inside around 75 so I know air temp wise I'd be okay.

I don't have a garage and the air temp in the sheds will be about what outside temp is so maybe low 50s
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I would NEVER spray paint in the house. Not only are the paints themselves volatile, the propellants are often gasses like butane. You simply cannot predict the path the fumes will take. It may smell just "strong' in the area where you're painting - meanwhile explosive fumes are migrating toward the pilot on the water heater, or the oven, or simply static electricity generated by walking across the rug. This time of year, the heat in the house is drying everything out, raising the possibility of a static charge tenfold.

I'm a former firefighter, and my son-in-law is currently on a department up here. I speak from first hand experience - DO NOT underestimate this hazard!

Paint only in well-ventilated areas, away from ignition sources. The labels on the paint cans do not lie......

Comment

Ditto! My best friend almost killed himself spraying laquer in his basement without ventilation. He had to go through an intense detoxification process to get it all out of his system. Please be careful.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Understood. I'm going to go out to the Army post here in town that has paint booths in their auto hobby shop tomorrow to look it over. If I can do it there without costing me too much than I will otherwise I'll try it out in the shed.

Thanks for the information.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

So I finally started the painting process by stripping a couple of parts today. Although I read the can before starting and was told by some folks, I thought I could still open the stripper inside the house, pour it into my working can, and then go outside to do the job. Yea, right! I'll never do that again. Even with a mask on that smell was enough to knock me over . Trust me, if you ever use aircraft stripper get your butt outside ASAP!

So, I started the work around 2 or 230 when it finally reached this:

The sad part is that thermometer isn't particularly accurate and weather.com said it was running about 4 or 5 degrees cooler. But I was able to get started using a work table I have. I first did the sprocket cover:

but not much came off of it.

Sorry I don't have a plastic scraper but I was told this one would do just as well. I am thinking though I'll get one next payday.

After that I started on the swingarm that I cleaned it up earlier last week.

After the first time through on the top side I got it looking like this:

I got some more on the second time around but still not enough so I'll do a third shot later this week or next weekend.

Once that is done i'll start on the bottom side. I just hope I can do a good enough job so the painting turns out nice. Course if i mess it up I can always restrip it, right?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

As you have found stripping parts takes several sessions. I believe the most productive method is putting a heavy layer on the painted part, let it react (lift) and then use a small brush or toothbrush to move the paint off the surface before the stripper dries. Once it down to metal and gooey paint you can use a brillo soap pad to remove additional paint. This is actually removes a lot of paint. Rinse & repeat to bare metal. I would perform this operation in the garage since the stripper works best above 70F

Just my 2 cents
              Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

I would think that sanding it off would be easier and faster.
                http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                  As you have found stripping parts takes several sessions. I would perform this operation in the garage since the stripper works best above 70F

Just my 2 cents
                  Can I come use your garage please? Thanks SRS and I'll keep the several session thing in mind but I don't have one (the shed doesn't have any airflow through it) so this is the best I can do for now.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    I would think that sanding it off would be easier and faster.
                    You would think so but this stuff is taking it right off. I am pretty certain I'll have to still do some sanding later but with nowhere near the effort I'd probably be doing.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

+1 on what srsupertrap said, you have to be liberal with the stuff, trying to use it sparingly does not work to well, if you lay it on thick you can literaly wipe 90 % of it off with a rag, and as he says, a wire brush or stiff toothbrush takes care of the rest, and the part comes out nice and smooth, no gouges from a scraper.

Comment

Working...
                      X