No announcement yet.

Winter mods...Want opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been doing my own powdercoating at home for 14 years- gotta love that Eastwood kit! There's definitely a learning curve to it as you said- experience is everything. Your wheels look pretty good from here, but I'll throw out four quick tips anyway.

1.) buy the largest powdercoating only dedicated used oven you can find.
    2.) pre-heat your parts before coating, about 175-200 degrees for about 15 minutes. Powder flows out noticeably better.
    3.) acetone makes a great final degreaser, wear gloves and ventilate, of course.
    4.) like painting, preparation is critical- the more time you spend there, the better the results.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2010, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Is there a powdercoating guide floating around here? Just curious as maybe it should get stickied?

Comment

I spend time on Powder365 forum and a few other powder coating forums. I allready had a spare household oven and the rest of the equipment, blast cabinets etc. i just picked up the Harbor freight kit.

I am taping off my front discs right now to do the centers. Going to shoot them Saturday. Will post up pics when i get them done. The masking is SOOOO tedious...

Ken

Comment

Got my rotors done today... next time I believe I will make the red stripe narrower. gold would probably have looked grea on the disc also.

Now on to the rear and to find a front fender...

Comment

Got the brake and clutch levers, brake brackets and the front calipers done today.

Comment

Looks great. I might need to try that

Comment

Got the rear wheel and rear disc done today! LOVE my new powder coater...

Comment

Sexxy! Love the powdercoat!

Interesting about the forks - more options are always good.
                  Well done, and I'll be watching with interest!

Comment

More powder coating today! Got the rear wheel, brake caliper/brackets and also did the foot pegs and passenger peg bracket done. The chrome part i left of the regular footpeg brackets have a rubber bushing in them. We have about 15" of snow and I did not feel like driving to the other shop with the press. I will get them later.

I also have to find or make a larger oven to get the swingarm in so I can do it in black as well. Not going to powder coat the red on the rear wheel but going to add a small red stripe with a Beuglar pinstriping tool

Comment

If I ever rebuild the front forks, I wil pc the bottom piece the brakes bolt onto.

Comment

More stuff coated today...

cam Covers

side cover

Comment

Side shot after cam/side covers, redid risers to get further up. When the front tire wears out, i am going to redo the front wheel as I do not like the red outer....

Comment

Adjusting valves today so I did the top cover and oil filler plug , starter cover.

Ordered front fender as well. Next will be to powder coat the swingarm and take a side panel to the paint store to get a color match for the front fender and fairing. Going to reclear the tank and existing body work as it is in great shape but mmight as well why i am painting!

Here is a shot of the powder coat job on the tripple tree and risers..

Comment

Awesome Work!!
                              I see you're running the original swingarm. Will the powdercoating work with the factory anodizing on it?
                              81 GS1100e
                              83 GS1100e
                              67 Norton P11(someday soon I'm gonna kick it alive and ride it!)
                              A couple of KZ400's
                              Be Here Now Until You're There Then

Comment

Yep, after it is cleaned, blasted and treated with iron phosphate wash. That is what I am told about annodized stuff. The blasting will not remove the annodizing, but the IP should treat it .

Comment

Working...
                                X