Need your input on wire wheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your input on wire wheel.

Need your input on my wire wheels. The aluminum ring on my rear was corroded so I cleaned it the best I could. It is still pretty bad though, and spokes are rusty as well. So here are some thoughts I had.

1st bead blast the whole wheel, paint it semi gloss black or flat black with a red pin stripe on the lip. The up side, cheap and easy.

2nd bust out the bolt cutters and remove the spokes. Go to buddies house and use his stand mounted buffer and go to town on the rim and hub. Install new spokes, and learn to lace and true wheels. Down side $85 for spokes, learning to lace(not to hard), learning to true a wheel (really hard), coming out black head to toe with rouge from buffing rim.

3rd kinda like #2. Instead paint the rim and hub black or color keyed to bike (which will be red eventually), and install the new stainless spokes bare.

4th back wards of #3, polish the rim and hub, but paint the spokes black.

The plan for the bike is once I get my tail/seat it will get painted. The color scheme so far is going to be a deep red with black flake sprayed over it. Then a gun metal silver 3 bar stripe down the center. I will have my buddy cut out some "Suzuki" stencils for the sides of the tank which will also be done gun metal silver. Then clear the bike with a satin clear. Best part of it all, I have all this paint already from previous projects. Frame will be done in Por15's black frame paint. That I have to buy
    paint the whole wheel, and pin stripe it
    33.33%
    polish the hub, and hoop install spokes bare
    33.33%
    paint the hub and hoop, bare spokes
    33.33%
    paint the spokes, polish the hub and hoop
    0.00%

picture of wheel for reference. I have not gotten the front yet, I should have it next week

Comment

I'd say paint the hoop and pin stripe it, paint the hub, and use stainless spokes. That would look pretty good I think. However you slice it, spokes look sweet!

Comment

Paint it yellow to match your side covers [your wife would love that]. Just kidding. How about bead blasting the whole thing--paint everything but the outer rim lip black then polish the the lip and put a red pinstripe just inside the lip on the black painted surface? Spokes are cool!

Comment

polished hub, new shiny spokes and paint the rims matt black. looks awesome IMO
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It sure is hard to put tires on painted rims.....

I say Polish/polish/bare.

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL View Post
              It sure is hard to put tires on painted rims.....

I say Polish/polish/bare.

not that hard, I use an old inner tube, have yet to scratch a painted wheel

Comment

bead inside hubs, polish outside hubs. Lace rear to front, buy new wider (4.25) rear, polish rims and stainless spokes.

Comment

Working...
                X