Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bracket

Have an issue with my head light bracket and bucket. They brackets don’t line up so that I can tighten the bolts. If I do tighten the bolts the bucket turns into an oval and the head light doesn’t fit. I have a two part question. First can someone confirm that my brackets are bent or that they aren't mounted correctly? Second part, if the brackets are not usable has anyone used brackets similar to the ones linked below from Z1?

Bottom view - notice that the light is sitting off to the left side of the bike and the angle of the bracket makes it impossible to tighten the bolts without messing up the shape of the bucket. I can push the bucket around but the problem moves with the brackets.

Top View -

Z1 Link http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=431

Is the bucket the correct one for a 650? Looks a little large.....

Comment

Doesn't seem like the stock headlight to me.

Comment

Either the headlight is too large or the brackets are too small. They should come straight out to line up with the side of the headlight..From the pic's it is defiantely one or the other.. Find someone with a similar bike here and have them measure it and go from there
        Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2011, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Looks like the brackets are for the square head light housing on the gs1100x (u.s.) model. Correct me if im wrong. They look similar to my brackets on my GS1100x. They bolt up on the inside of the square housing.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2011, 04:11 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

The brackets look like the same as on the 750/850/1000 round headlight, but I have it in the back of my mind that the 650 forks are different diameter. There are aftermarket headlights/buckets available that are smaller, if you're going for operational bike rather than poifect original. There may be the correct buckets on the "e-site".

The brackets can be straightened with carefull vise-work, then giv'em a coat of new paint...

Comment

Headlight Brackets <- - - Click
              Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Runningdog View Post
                The brackets look like the same as on the 750/850/1000 round headlight, but I have it in the back of my mind that the 650 forks are different diameter. There are aftermarket headlights/buckets available that are smaller, if you're going for operational bike rather than poifect original. There may be the correct buckets on the "e-site".

The brackets can be straightened with carefull vise-work, then giv'em a coat of new paint...
                I agree. Look like the ones on my round headlight 1000

Comment

They brackets don't match the headlamp for sure but how about swapping the brackets over - looks like they'll line up then.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    They brackets don't match the headlamp for sure but how about swapping the brackets over - looks like they'll line up then.
                    same here, i reckon you got them wrong sided. looks like it will be a better fit if you swapped sides
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

[
                      Is the bucket the correct one for a 650? Looks a little large.....

Good question, the bucket came in a box with the bike. No idea if original or not, the brackets were on the bike, but that doesn't mean much with this bike. I think the bucket is original, the light is 7" accross and the bucket is 8" wide. I think I read somewhere that 7" is stock size for my bike, but can't remember where I read that.

Period perfect parts would be nice, but aftermarket will be ok if they look good and are of quality. I did take the brakets off and tried to find a better or different way to mount them. Nothing helped. I did think of bending them out but didn't know how to do that, but I will try some vice work.

Originally posted by TSCC View Post
                      Headlight Brackets <- - - Click

Those look like they would work nice, but I would need holes for mounting turn signals. The Z1 part looks like a winner. If the brackets come off the outside of the tubes then they should work.

So... decisions time

Comment

I think you have brackets from a smaller bike that uses the 5"? headlight or maybe your bike uses the small headlight

Comment

Your sig says "650G". Are you sure it's a G or is it a GL?

Your brackets look like they came from a GL, which has a 6" light. You have installed a 7" light, which is spreading the brackets.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            Your sig says "650G". Are you sure it's a G or is it a GL?

Your brackets look like they came from a GL, which has a 6" light. You have installed a 7" light, which is spreading the brackets.

Yes, this.

Post a photo of the rest of the bike if you're not sure.

The GL should have an all-chrome bucket with a 6"-ish headlamp (it might measure more like 5-3/4").

The G headlight (what you appear to have) has a black plastic bucket with a 7" headlamp.
                            Last edited by bwringer; 01-10-2011, 09:11 PM.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Its a g Model. Confirmed with the engine, vin and vin tag with model information. I have added some L parts though...

Here is an old picture. I don't have a good picture of the current bike but I will get you some soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X