Black Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Exhaust

What are you "ED/ESD" people using to paint your exhausts? The two centre pipes on my ESD look like they've been painted flat black, and don't match the stock colour black colour.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Header paint from the parts store.
    The secret is the prep. Read the instructions on the can or it wont last.

With the pipes removed I sanded mine with a D/A sander and course 80 grit paper. Tight areas sande by hand.
    10 or 12 very light coats with the last couple of coats being very heavy. It took two cans for me.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
      Header paint from the parts store.
      The secret is the prep. Read the instructions on the can or it wont last..
      I think he's talking about duplicating the black chrome stock finish....hard to do with paint. A high-gloss ceramic coat might be the closest thing that will last.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Yes, I am. Can't get away with painting it to match? I want to put a collector plate on it so it has to be STOCK. Hmmm. That means I've got to send the whole shootin' match off to a place that will do it, as I seriously doubt there is anything locally. My friend got the headers for his Demon done in Calgary....
        Gotta' do some research. Thanks for your input, guys.
        Kevin
        E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
        "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
        Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

High gloss ceramic coat. Then sand out the "orange peel" then polish is about the only way to it and will still be "close" .The only real solutin is to find a nice set of black chrome pipes or find someone that actually does the black chrome. Good luck..

Comment

Ceramic is the only way you will duplicate it.

Comment

Black exhaust wrap from front to back.

Comment

if u find a exact way u be everyones best mate

Comment

I just came across this don't know how well it works. Maybe someone could try it and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                    I just came across this don't know how well it works. Maybe someone could try it and report back.

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black_krome.html
                    Then there is the heat issue.. Does the phrase "pushing s##t up hill " ring a bell? lol sory to say

Comment

Find a classic car restorer in your area and talk to them about gloss ceramic exhaust coatings - Jaguars used it and restorers regularly get them redone.

Comment

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
                          Then there is the heat issue.. Does the phrase "pushing s##t up hill " ring a bell? lol sory to say

What heat issue? From the exhaust or for the plating? The kit comes with a heater and it's chrome plating so the heat from the exhaust should not be a problem.

Maybe you should stop a second and think is this really a helpful post or not? It really wasn't. Way to help answer a fellow GSer's question!

Comment

Working...
                          X